2007 Lobuck Rules Committee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewpastor said:
How about 4 categories: golden, amber, brown and black and then let creativity rule. Extremely Cheap Extreme Brewing. No hole barred, let the games begin.

If I had 4 guaranteed entries in each category, I would say yes. I'm not sure how popular this is going to be, so I am hesitant to create categories. I'm even making sure AG can mix it up with PM and X. There's some fun to that sort of no holds barred approach too. :mug:

And there is NOTHING preventing the judges from looking at the number of entries and giving sub-awards for "best black/brown/amber/light/most innovative/whatever" I expect the judges will give due props to those people who came up with awesome things.

It doesn't have to be different categories from the outset. I am thinking we'll just let the judges see where the tasting leads them and let them sort of create "categories" as they're tasting... It's a little ass-backwards, for sure, but I think it will ultimately be more fair to the participants because god only knows what crazy brewers are going to come up with and you don't want to penalize a guy for creating a great pumpkin brew because we didn't have the foresight to include a category for him.

Can I back up for a second, to WAY back at the beginning?

I really liked the idea of this as a collaberation, not as a contest. I'd love to hear ideas, things that we might incorporate into other brews, not really trying to "win." I know that train has long left the station, I just wanted to put that out there....

the_bird said:
Can I back up for a second, to WAY back at the beginning?

I really liked the idea of this as a collaberation, not as a contest. I'd love to hear ideas, things that we might incorporate into other brews, not really trying to "win." I know that train has long left the station, I just wanted to put that out there....

I'm with you on that. But part of the process has to be actual brewing and experience.. not just throwing out ideas. I really WANT collaboration. But I think the best way to achieve it is to have a contest and then "publish" the recipes for all to see. Once everybody else can see what works and what doesn't, it should fuel greater collaboration in the future.

Don't think of the contest as an end unto itself. It's more like a kick-start to a period of greater knowledge from which we can collaborate further

I guess you're right.. it's a nice rule to have, but the more I think about it, I can't really say it's necessary.

I'm still not sold on the permitting of alcohol though...

I'm with BP and bird on the required ingredients rule - I was just thinking about using natural cranberry juice as a bittering agent instead of hops. I'm also in agreement with them on the 1/4 oz - 1/4 lb rule - unnecessary.

I don't care either way about the "don't use vodka/spirits" rule - I like that it emphasizes using fermentables, but it does limit creativity.

I'm gonna go brew something. I'll check back later. Hopefully more people will chime in...

I'm still on the fence about some of these things...

I like that some of you guys are proposing rules modifications, but if you're saying that " I'm not going to do this anyways, but I think that..." it seems a little ... odd.

Nobody's ever going to agree on all the rules (I think). But if you're not planning on entering, why the fuss?

I definately think the requirement of each ingredient should be out. I like the idea of standard quantity measurements, but I can see where you guys are going with it and don't disagree.

I think that my 2nd rules post (after scratching out rules 1 and 2) should stand as the rules. Simple, quick, efficient.

I doubt there will be a lot of beers entered, so the subcategories are (IMHO) unnecessary. Not to mention, there is no category for most of this stuff. Cranberry Juice as a bittering agent? That won't fit in any style guideline anyway, and our goal was not to limit anyone to style guidelines. Although I agree, if there are enough entries in different categories to warrant them, I'd suggest: Best Lager. Best Light Ale. Best Dark Ale. I think we shouldn't worry about it till we see if we get more than 1 beer or any of those 3 'styles' anyway.

All I have to say is, at this point, I'm in. I've got a recipe formulated, and I'm looking at ways to tweak it. If we could get some rules done by 5pm Eastern, I'm going to the LHBS to buy some grains and try some 3gallon test batches.

Can we agree on this?

Two rules. Two freakin rules. And I subtracted 7 cents from each gallon to account for the fact that we aren't counting priming sugar or CO2.

The Rules

1. The limit for this year is (tentatively) set as follows:
$2.00 per gallon of beer made from extract
$1.73 per gallon made from a partial mash recipe
$1.23 per gallon made from all grain

If you go over the limit, points will be deducted

2. The brewer may buy his ingredients from any supplier and the actual price paid for these supplies is irrelevant. Your ingredient price is to be computed as the cost charged by (fill in the name of the sponsoring homebrew website here), not including shipping or taxes. In the event that this sponsor does not have your desired ingredient, you may use (insert the name of other homebrew sites here) to find the price. In the event that your desired ingredient is not available through any of these websites, peapod.com will be used. In the event that Peapod doesn’t have your ingredient, you must contact the judges for a ruling. All ingredients, regardless of source, will be deemed to have been purchased at the regular advertised price.

a. Extract. For Extract and Partial Mash Brewers, standard malts (DME or
LME) will be priced on the assumption that you are purchasing 25 pounds.
b. Grain. For All-Grain brewers, standard malts will be priced on the assumption that you are buying a 55lb bag.
c. Specialty grains. Specialty Grains will be priced by the pound.
d. Hops. All hops will be priced by the pound.
e. Other. Other ingredients (Irish moss, clarifying agent, etc) priced at the non-bulk pricing from the specified online retailers.
f. Priming sugar or CO2. Priming sugar or CO2 used for carbonation is free, as long as it's only added at bottling time.
g. Water. Water is a “free” ingredient. The brewer has the choice of using tap water, or else filtered water costing under $1.00 per gallon. Because water quality varies significantly, the purpose of this rule is to permit people living in locations with awful water to compete on a level playing field. Any use of mineral water, flavored water, or spring water that does not normally come out of the tap will require the brewer to include the entire cost of the water in his cost computation.
h. Yeast. The cost of the yeast shall be computed as per rule #1 except the cost of the yeast will then be divided by three to account for the possibility of repitching the yeast cake a time or two.
i. Time and Effort. No costs will be associated for any equipment/time/etc.

Toot,

Use my point/price guidelines. Honestly, now that we're at $1.20 for AG...I think that's going to be a nigh unhittable mark with anything resembling beer or tasting even remotely better than a sweaty sock. Also, there are no rules as to how many points you get, and how much is deducted for every cent you are over the limit.

jezter6 said:
Toot,

Use my point/price guidelines. Honestly, now that we're at $1.20 for AG...I think that's going to be a nigh unhittable mark with anything resembling beer or tasting even remotely better than a sweaty sock. Also, there are no rules as to how many points you get, and how much is deducted for every cent you are over the limit.

I didn't realize you had changed them. Let me go look.

5. Total cost per gallon must be below $3.40/gal. Each 10c below that gains an additional 1pt for AG/PM brews, 1.5 points for extract. (Those numbers are arbitrary)

6. Must be at least 3% ABV. For each 0.1 ABV you get 1 point. This goes for all types (AG/PM/extract).

7. You must submit a full recipe with your beer, including all ingredients, mash steps, projected OG, actual OG, projected FG, actual FG, ABV, IBU, cost of each ingredient, brewer name, contact information. An actual form will be created later to fill out and send.

Number 6 is perfect!

But you want $3.40 for ALL brewers? I don't think AGers spend that much making barleywine! We've GOT to have different standards for different brew techniques

And yeah. The recipe is required. But it should be in a sealed envelope so the judges aren't swayed by it until after tasting.

Yes, that is the MINIMUM allowed for all brewers. As you can see, the farther you go under that, the more points you are awarded. Extracters get 50% more points than AG because it costs more to get lower.

I believe there is now full agreement, insomuch as possible, on everything except the pricing guidelines.

In the previous thread, Orfy generated a simple prototype recipe that came in at $1.34. It was a 5 gallon basic beer recipe with no adventurous adjuncts to save money. He included .5lbs of dextrose which, I assumed (maybe wrongly?) was for priming sugar. at $1 per pound, 5 gallons, that's ten cents a gallon for the priming sugar which the rules have now changed to allow to be free. But I only subtracted 7 cents from the categories. So, actually, brewers are now 3 cents ahead (assuming you're going to bottle carbonate).

jezter6 said:
I like that some of you guys are proposing rules modifications, but if you're saying that " I'm not going to do this anyways, but I think that..." it seems a little ... odd.

Frankly, it's the far-too-anal-about-the-"rules" that swayed me AWAY from participating. If its something clean, simple, and fairly judged (and with a reasonable cost limit, which I don't think the current price points are), I very well might send in an entry.

I still think you're coming at this with the attitude of "people are going to cheat any which way they can," which is dead wrong for the group of folks around here. I'm not sure that you get that. I can't think of anyone among the paying members (the people that have been around for a while and that I've gotten to know) who would not attack this contest according to both the letter and the spirit of the rules. That's just not how people operate around here.

Here's the reason I want different starting prices for different brewing methods:

I am not confident in my ability to determine what a fair multiplier is. You think 50% more points for extract brewers is fair, and it may be. But I am not confident in that.

I am, however, confident that we can agree on how much money is required for each brewer to purchase three-quarters of a pound of fermentable sugar (be it in extract or taken from grain) and a quarter of an ounce of hops (per gallon).

So that's where I'm thinking the price point should be. If you want any more fermentables or bittering, you'll have to get creative.

bird- I don't think anybody brought up the word "cheating". In my mind, if it's not against the rules, then it's not cheating. However, some people may say that you are violating the "spirit" of the rules. Just like when you watch a basketball game, people have different ideas of what constitutes "unfair" play. It doesn't mean one opinion is more right than the other, but it does mean people will naturally tend to play under different rules.

When playing a "pick up" game of basketball, some people assume that some body checking and blocking out is part of the game. Others will get offended if you so much as touch them.

This isn't about avoiding cheaters. This is about making sure everyone is on the same page.

Two Part Response:

Toot - I think you're aiming too low. If 3.41 as a max is too high, drop it down to $2, with bonus points for each 10c after that. I doubt many will be down in the 1.35 category, and frankly...I doubt that the 1.35 beer (let alone any below it) will taste good or even resemble beer. :)

bird - I don't think it's so much as assuming of cheating. I was hoping for a level playing field among new and old brewers. That, and each question about rules asked in the other thread seemed like it warranted some kind of rule. I may have gone overboard, and I do apologize to anyone who think's I'm a conspiracy nut for being so anal. :)

I've come to see that most people here probably would go in with the spirit of fairness in mind. Competitions inspire the best (and worst) in people...and it probably got the worst in me. So far, I've dropped every rule that has been opposed with a valid argument, so I don't think I've gone too far overboard.

Now, back to the rules...what about the price distinction are you unhappy with? I proposed the $3.41 rule, which I think was in the spirit of the original idea of - how can we make beer cheaper than them, and still taste good.

I appreciate everyone's comments, both positive and negative. I appreciate peoples' support.

I would like to point out though that the point of this thread is, specifically, to DEBATE the rules. To decide what they are to be. This is not a thread to solicit people to join the challenge. That will come later. And the reason this is anal retentive is that it is a "rules committee"- or as much as you can have one without being exclusionary.

Once the rules are in place, explained, and presented, I'm sure everything will be much clearer. Right now, by the nature of this "work", we are dealing with a jumbled mess of conflicting and varying ideas.

So, bird, seriously... if you are turned off, just kick back, close the thread, and please reconsider once the rules are hashed out. If, on the other hand, you still might be interested under the right conditions, then by all means speak up. You will notice that the rules HAVE been getting shorter, as per your suggestions. People are heeding your advice. But don't expect it to happen the moment you speak. Sometimes people need to sort of ruminate on things before coming around...

Toot said:
Here's the reason I want different starting prices for different brewing methods:

I am not confident in my ability to determine what a fair multiplier is. You think 50% more points for extract brewers is fair, and it may be. But I am not confident in that.

I am, however, confident that we can agree on how much money is required for each brewer to purchase three-quarters of a pound of fermentable sugar (be it in extract or taken from grain) and a quarter of an ounce of hops (per gallon).

So that's where I'm thinking the price point should be. If you want any more fermentables or bittering, you'll have to get creative.

3/4 pound of 2-row is 0.375c
1/4 oz hops (bulk) is 0.18c

You telling me that 0.56c/gallon is your new target?

Jezter-

When I originally conceived of the challenge, I thought $3.41 made a lot of sense. And then I realized just how ridiculously easy that would be. Sure, it wouldn't make great, incredibly flavorful beer. However, it would make an adequate brew with little difficulty. And, certainly, there is a place for a contest like that. However, my aim is something darker. Something more depraved and sinister. Something which will eat at the souls of beer judges everywhere!

The way I came to the $2 limit for X brewers was something sort of like this: I asked, "what's the minimum you need to brew a traditional, drinkable, beer?" Then I subtracted a bit from that to force creativity. ;)

jezter6 said:
3/4 pound of 2-row is 0.375c
1/4 oz hops (bulk) is 0.18c

You telling me that 0.56c/gallon is your new target?

Not exactly.. but it's a good way of looking at it...

Ever since I chucked the $3.41 concept (that's before I even posted the orig. thread, btw). the price of grain/DME and hops has been what I use as my mental guidepost. That's how I realized that $3.41 was too high- it enabled you to buy far far too many ingredients.

and I think I said 3/4 pound of fermentables. Not 3/4 pounds of grain. To get 3/4 pounds of fermentable sugar, you'll need over a full pound of grain. That's the advantage, and disadvantage, of all grain.

Here's what I propose you, or anyone else, do when trying to figure out what would be a fair guideline for determining limits:

Create the simplest light beer recipe you can imagine. Maybe 1 pound LME, one ounce of hops. That should be the limit. Then, for All-Grainers, do the same thing.. the problem though is that grain is SO cheap, there's not much that is cheaper, so while taking away a fraction of a pound from an extract brewer will allow a lot of flexibility, it won't work that way for all-grainers who are paying only pennies to produce their fermentables.

Agreed, you can make a traditional, drinkable, beer for less. But how low do you really want that max to be? Once it's 80% sugar adjuncts, it's (IMHO) no longer beer.

I think $2 is reasonable. I would not go any lower than that for the 'max' limit. People will get creatively low, but you want room to foster GOOD beer, which costs that extra 9c per gallon over the other guy who just chose to sugar the heck out of it.

Maybe move the price point schedule down to every 5c.

From what I've read on the net...DME bulk is 5x as expensive as grain bulk. Should they get 5x the points? I don't think so...considering that when you shave .5 pounds of grain off an AG recpie and an AG recipe, the AG guy only nets a 5c savings, where as the DME guy saves 25c per gallon.

Toot said:
Not exactly.. but it's a good way of looking at it...

Ever since I chucked the $3.41 concept (that's before I even posted the orig. thread, btw). the price of grain/DME and hops has been what I use as my mental guidepost. That's how I realized that $3.41 was too high- it enabled you to buy far far too many ingredients.

and I think I said 3/4 pound of fermentables. Not 3/4 pounds of grain. To get 3/4 pounds of fermentable sugar, you'll need over a full pound of grain. That's the advantage, and disadvantage, of all grain.

Here's what I propose you, or anyone else, do when trying to figure out what would be a fair guideline for determining limits:

Create the simplest light beer recipe you can imagine. Maybe 1 pound LME, one ounce of hops. That should be the limit. Then, for All-Grainers, do the same thing.. the problem though is that grain is SO cheap, there's not much that is cheaper, so while taking away a fraction of a pound from an extract brewer will allow a lot of flexibility, it won't work that way for all-grainers who are paying only pennies to produce their fermentables.

nevermind. I'm an idiot.

jezter6 said:
Agreed, you can make a traditional, drinkable, beer for less. But how low do you really want that max to be? Once it's 80% sugar adjuncts, it's (IMHO) no longer beer.
I agree. We need to allow people to use enough fermentables to make a decent little beer. And if they can go beyond that using creativity, then that is awesome and they will be competitive in the competition.

I think $2 is reasonable. I would not go any lower than that for the 'max' limit. People will get creatively low, but you want room to foster GOOD beer, which costs that extra 9c per gallon over the other guy who just chose to sugar the heck out of it.
Again, I agree. The only hitch is the fact that, until I call potential sponsors, I won't know what the price of LME is. On morebeer.com, they sell it bulk for $2.00. On northernbrewers, they sell it bulk for $2.50. That's a 25% swing. I'm still struggling to preserve some "wiggle room" in that limit until we have the sponsorship thing figured out. And I'm not talking about fancy banners or anything. Just a little increased traffic and positive PR in exchange for maybe a $25 gift certificate or something.

Maybe move the price point schedule down to every 5c.
Why not a point deducted for every 3 cents over, and a point added for every penny below. That way people won't stress so much about going over, but will have a huge incentive for going cheaper... if they can. Of course though, taste will be the most important factor regardless.

From what I've read on the net...DME bulk is 5x as expensive as grain bulk. Should they get 5x the points? I don't think so...considering that when you shave .5 pounds of grain off an AG recpie and an AG recipe, the AG guy only nets a 5c savings, where as the DME guy saves 25c per gallon.
Exactly! That's what we're struggling against. That's why I think using different starting points for AG,PM, and X makes a lot of sense.

And....

At the end of the day, who really cares? It's our first attempt at this, it's all in fun, and next time (if there is a next time), we can take all the criticisms and complaints and improve. There's something to be said about having participated in the "First Inaugural" even if the rules are a little wonky. At least we're doing our best. :mug:

Well, jezter, it sounds like you're looking at it differently now. FWIW, I wholly agree with a lot of your improvements and this shouldn't be a contest to see who can outlast the other at the keyboard. :)

But I think I explained some things which I hadn't put forth explicitly before. Although I was looking at the cost of producing a simple beer, I don't think I actually stated that that's how I was coming up with my numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, now that I think we're sort of on the same page, what's your take on......

(and, btw, if the cost of LME winds up being $2.50 rather than $2.00, I would bump the X category by a dime and the PM category by maybe 5 cents to compensate)

I still want your thoughts...

Toot said:
Well, jezter, it sounds like you're looking at it differently now. FWIW, I wholly agree with a lot of your improvements and this shouldn't be a contest to see who can outlast the other at the keyboard. :)

But I think I explained some things which I hadn't put forth explicitly before. Although I was looking at the cost of producing a simple beer, I don't think I actually stated that that's how I was coming up with my numbers. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, now that I think we're sort of on the same page, what's your take on......

I still want your thoughts...

How do you come up with those figures? I think it keeps getting more and more unrealistic the lower you are going. Make the figure HIGH to start, and give points for going under. Nobody is going to make a $1.23 beer. That's my thoughts. I think that bird even said price is one of his other big contentions.

Can you explain your numbers, maybe we can see how you think $1.23 is going to work?

The sugars were to give a lighter body but higher abv without imparting too much taste.
I think $1.34 is achievable and should give a drinkable beer.

0 points at $1.34 - for above and + for below.

Toot's the head guru of this thing, so I say screw it. Put a price and move on. If people don't like the price, they won't enter.

I will say that at the proposed price of $1.23, I will most likely not be entering.

I'll have a go but I won't be entering due to around 3000 long reasons.
The $1.34 is based on a solid recipe, not sure where the $1.23 is coming from.
I'd just be reducing quality to meet the lower price.

jezter6 said:
How do you come up with those figures? I think it keeps getting more and more unrealistic the lower you are going. Make the figure HIGH to start, and give points for going under. Nobody is going to make a $1.23 beer. That's my thoughts. I think that bird even said price is one of his other big contentions.

Can you explain your numbers, maybe we can see how you think $1.23 is going to work?

Ok. Here's another reason I'm not too concerned about it.

Since we are awarding points for going under the limit and subtracting points, rather than disqualifying people, for going over it, the scale is meaningless.

We can set the limit at $400 per gallon and give a point for every penny below and people will just have really high scores. Or set the limit at a penny, deduct for going over, and people will have really low scores.

The only reason it matters is as a target- as something to shoot for. Initially, I had conceived of this as a hard limit- thou shalt not exceed whatever amount. But now that we've agreed it'd be better to have a soft limit, I decided it wouldn't hurt to lower the amount.

Let's assume that a great beer will garner a hundred points. Let's assume that 33 of the points come from the cost factor. If nobody hits the target, then nobody gets a perfect 100. That doesn't mean there won't be a winner. It just means that there is still something to strive for next time.

Agreed -:mug:

I was just wondering if the amount was set on a "realistic brew"
Is everyone going to hold the recipes close or release them for others to try?

I'd recommend 3 rules

1) beer must be brewed for
$X/gal for extract brewers
$X/gal for PM brewers
$X/gal for AG brewers
You go over, don't bother entering. You go under, good for you, no extra points.
(we can fight about the amounts after the sponsorship is resolved)

2) Beer must be in one of the following BJCP styles:
10A American Pale Ale
10B American Amber Ale
10C American Brown Ale
13A Dry Stout
(keeping it ales because lagering is going to be difficult for most folks and the results are wildly different than an ale) If we have enough interest we certainly could add an 1B American Lager category

3) The brewer may buy his ingredients from any supplier and the actual price paid for these supplies is irrelevant. Your ingredient price is to be computed as the cost charged by (fill in the name of the sponsoring homebrew website here), not including shipping or taxes. In the event that this sponsor does not have your desired ingredient, you may use (insert the name of other homebrew sites here) to find the price. In the event that your desired ingredient is not available through any of these websites, peapod.com will be used. In the event that Peapod doesn’t have your ingredient, you must contact the judges for a ruling. All ingredients, regardless of source, will be deemed to have been purchased at the regular advertised price.

a. Extract. For Extract and Partial Mash Brewers, standard malts (DME or
LME) will be priced on the assumption that you are purchasing 25 pounds.
b. Grain. For All-Grain brewers, standard malts will be priced on the assumption that you are buying a 55lb bag.
c. Specialty grains. Specialty Grains will be priced by the pound.
d. Hops. All hops will be priced by the pound.
e. Other. Other ingredients (Irish moss, clarifying agent, etc) priced at the non-bulk pricing from the specified online retailers.
f. Priming sugar or CO2. Priming sugar or CO2 used for carbonation is free, as long as it's only added at bottling time.
g. Water. Water is a “free” ingredient. The brewer has the choice of using tap water, or else filtered water costing under $1.00 per gallon. Because water quality varies significantly, the purpose of this rule is to permit people living in locations with awful water to compete on a level playing field. Any use of mineral water, flavored water, or spring water that does not normally come out of the tap will require the brewer to include the entire cost of the water in his cost computation.
h. Yeast. The cost of the yeast shall be computed as per rule #1 except the cost of the yeast will then be divided by three to account for the possibility of repitching the yeast cake a time or two.
i. Time and Effort. No costs will be associated for any equipment/time/etc.

Ok. I think I have everyone's input. Semi-final rules will be posted tomorrow.

I presently have had one person contact me to volunteer as a judge. He is a very well-respected member of HBT and, if you don't know who he is yet, I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

I would, however, like another volunteer... or two... to serve as a judge. On the plus side, you will get to drink some beer. On the downside, some of it may suck. On the up side, you will get some beer. On the downside, you will be expected to write about a one page "book report" on each one and fill out some papers. On the plus side, you will get some beer. On the downside, you'll probably have to spend an hour or two working on guidelines for us as judges.

Any volunteers?

Finally, I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I think EVERYONE has had some suggestions that have resulted in my adjusting the rules to their point of view. And I think that everyone has also had some suggestions rejected for reasons that, I hope, they can at least understand... even if they don't agree with it. In other words, I've tried to be open minded and I honestly believe I have been very deferential to others with strong opinions and I have even gone so far as to "back down" on rules where I was in the minority... even if I don't believe the change was for the best. Hopefully, my concerns in those cases will prove unfounded and I will be proven wrong in those cases where I disagree. In short, we have the perfect camel- a horse designed by committee. And when the rules come out, I assure you, nobody will be happy- myself included. That, they say, is the sign of a good compromise. I hope you agree on that much.

Thanks again.

beer4breakfast said:
The idea of making 5 gallons of beer I'd actually want to consume for less than the cost of a typical six pack is mind boggling.

Whoa whoa whoa! Who's talking about making 5 gallons of this junk??!!!! :cross:

I'm only going to make 1 or 1.5 gallon batches. The ingredients are probably going to get "nipped" from other recipes. ;)

beer4breakfast said:
OK, so no one has to make 5 gallons of it, but I guess I thought the objective was to make good beer for a low price. That is how I interpreted this:

If it's good beer that would prove the points above, why wouldn't you make 10 or 20 gallons of it, once you nailed the recipe?

Well, sure.. once you nailed the recipe, you may decide to replicate it in larger quantities. Or, you might decide to tweak it without regard to the rules. That's up to you.

You are correct that the objective is to make GOOD beer for a low price. But, let's face it- it's going to be a challenge. There will be stumbles along the way. By no means would I suggest anybody tie up a 6.5 gallon fermenter for a few weeks to complete this project. Start small, experiment, when you get something good, brew a small batch for judging. Or, if you like, go larger.

A couple of final thoughts:

If all the prices are based on those fixed sources, people cannot get creative with how they acquire their ingredients. If someone has the means to buy raw barley, malt it, and use it, why not? If someone finds out that an Asian grocery store carries a particular "secret" ingredient, or can get usable malt extract from a bakery supply place at very low cost, isn't that a legitimate way of cleverly achieving the objective?

The cost point, IMHO, has gotten so low as to be ridiculous. For AG guys, it's really got nothing to do with ingredients, it's all about process; how can you get the highest possible efficiency out of your grain? Sparge forever, then do an eight hour boil? If it's not realistic to end up with GOOD beer (not just a passable beer-like product), I don't see the point.

Anyway, cool idea, I just disagree with how you're putting it together. Good luck!

The point is to create replicable recipes. If I can piss Guinness and use that as my recipe, that's really not useful to other brewers who don't happen to piss Guinness. So, if you've got some secret ingredient, or some killer hops growing in your backyard, that recipe is useless to everyone else. This is what separates my challenge from most beer competitions. In this case, it's as much about the recipe as it is about the finished product. I think the judges will be looking for a certain thought process that shows promise for future brews... a recipe that tastes good enough that people will want to expand upon it.

Notice too though that I did say that for other ingredients, the judges will make a ruling. And I mean that. If you find something at an asian grocery store, tell me how much you paid. I live in Chicago and have friends that speak Cantonese, Mandarin, and Japanese. I have a Korean friend too. One way or another, I'll find a way to ensure that the price you paid is in the ballpark and the judges will approve it.

Thanks for the inputs. I'm still going back and forth on the exact price point, but rest assured, nobody will be kicked out of the competition, or even lose it, simply for going over the limits. For all we know, the winner will be the guy who spent the extra $0.40 a gallon, but came up with a brew that didn't taste like crap. Who knows....

But that's why I'm calling it a "Challenge" rather than a "Competition". To me, at least, I think the difference in meaning is significant.

I got on this tread a little late and I love the idea but, why would I want to make a beer that even comes close to something I refuse to drink (i.e BMC)?? Why not make something that is comparable to Sam Adams, Sierra or great regional micro's that we all love to enjoy. I don't feel like I have to justify my homebrew in cost or any other reason to the majors but more to the regional/micro's.

Latest posts

Back