20 gal elec kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
I’m looking to make the switch to electric and wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation.
I make 10 gal batches. Gonna be doing single vessel BIAB brewing. No recirculating mash. Already got the bag, the hoist, etc. Need a 20 gal elec kettle and controller. Pretty basic.
SS Brewtech offers a 10 gal model that looks cool and does not scorch the bag. I can’t tell if the Blichmann element scorches the bag, if so I guess I’d have to get a false bottom.

Was reading a few days ago S.S. Brewtech is supposed to be coming out with a 20gal version in the near future

If you do go electric, make sure you're on a gfci protected circuit (always adds a bit more to the bill, but can save your life). Barring delays, SsBT should be releasing their 20 gallon eKettle in January or February and their all in one setup for those systems in the spring. Don't think too much information has been released on it other than that.

The Blichmann element is a very similar ULWD (ultra low watt density) design that I would expect to be safe with a bag, but I don't know if their controller uses an SSR or SSVR (on/off vs % power, respectively). It may be worth emailing them to ask if it'll work in contact with a bag.

Was reading a few days ago S.S. Brewtech is supposed to be coming out with a 20gal version in the near future

Yes I heard the same. Prob gonna be buying it but was just seeing if anyone had other options

If you do go electric, make sure you're on a gfci protected circuit (always adds a bit more to the bill, but can save your life). Barring delays, SsBT should be releasing their 20 gallon eKettle in January or February and their all in one setup for those systems in the spring. Don't think too much information has been released on it other than that.

The Blichmann element is a very similar ULWD (ultra low watt density) design that I would expect to be safe with a bag, but I don't know if their controller uses an SSR or SSVR (on/off vs % power, respectively). It may be worth emailing them to ask if it'll work in contact with a bag.

Yes the SSbt setup looks amazing. I will prob be going with that. I did email the Blichmann guys asking that very question. Their response was that the boil coil is not designed to be used in contact with a BIAB. also their false bottom would still have a portion of the boil coil exposed above it, so there would be scorching.

Yes the SSbt setup looks amazing. I will prob be going with that. I did email the Blichmann guys asking that very question. Their response was that the boil coil is not designed to be used in contact with a BIAB. also their false bottom would still have a portion of the boil coil exposed above it, so there would be scorching.
the boil coils are a lower watt density than a ripple element, many biab brewers rest the bags directly on top of the element but most biab brewers do not attempt to use the element while the bag is sitting on top, (still I have seen people claim they do this with no issues) even with a pump and recirculation unless you add a false bottom to keep the bag up and off of it. otherwise you get localized boiling and scorching from proteins sitting on top of the the element surface.

Back