20 Day American Pale Ale - Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatorforty

Reaction score
Hey guys, we're throwing a party on 7/3 for the holiday, and I always serve homebrew. Well...this year life and work have gotten in the way and I have nothing in the pipeline. I think I can pull off a good beer in 20 days...I know there's lots of shortcuts, what do you guys think about this?

The style is an APA, with OG targeted at 1.052, finishing at 5.4% ABV. Going to use the San Diego yeast for a fast ferment.

6/11 (tonight) - start yeast starter on stirplate
6/13 (first avail brewday) Brew
6/19 - Start Cold Crash (assuming primary ferm is complete)
6/22 - Rack to Keg / add Dry Hops to Keg / carb @ 10 PSI/39 deg
7/3 - Serve

I normally like to dry hop in the keg around 67deg for at least 3 days, and then carb at serving temp. I don't think I have time for that...thoughts? Thanks folks!

Ron

Brew Saturday, Ferment 10 days, keg, start carbing... it'll cold crash in the keg. Hit it with gelatin after 2 days in the fridge.

I would also burst carb it... 30 psi for 24-36 hrs, then turn down to serving.

This is like, my normal schedule for beers under 1.070.

plenty of time... if you want to give it a few more days in the fermenter or do a room temp dry hop you could always force carb at 30psi for 36-48 hours.

Brew Saturday, Ferment 10 days, keg, start carbing... it'll cold crash in the keg. Hit it with gelatin after 2 days in the fridge.

This is like, my normal schedule for beers under 1.070.

Whats your schedule and reasoning for not doing this for big beers?

And to the OP, you have plenty of time, id ferment for a week, then dry hop another week then chill, gelatin and then force carb

Whats your schedule and reasoning for not doing this for big beers?

And to the OP, you have plenty of time, id ferment for a week, then dry hop another week then chill, gelatin and then force carb

Well, quite honestly, I don't do many big beers... but just for my own peace of mind, I like to go the full 2 weeks and ramp up the temp some at the end.

I haven't gotten this right yet...everytime I do it, the beer is overcarbed and foams like hell when I go to serve it. I like to set it and forget it for 10 days or so, always carbs perfectly.

I haven't gotten this right yet...everytime I do it, the beer is overcarbed and foams like hell when I go to serve it. I like to set it and forget it for 10 days or so, always carbs perfectly.

Hmm...This is my standard way of carbonating and I've never overcarbed. In fact, the beer is always a bit undercarbed after the 30 psi stint. Are you brewing smaller batches? Because using this same routine with, say, a 2.5G batch will get you and overcarbed beer.

Just thought I would respond back and let everyone know that I pretty much followed the schedule that I outlined above and the beer came out great. Keg got kicked the same day I put it on!

Ron

Back