2 yeasts, need to know dominant strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtockst

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch today that ended up w/ an OG of about 1.08. I used a vial of wlp530 which is their abbey yeast. I didn't have time to make a starter so I just pitched it in from the vial. I didn't think the fermentation would start very quickly or be a very good fermentation w/o a starter, so I threw a packet of safale us05 in along w the wlp530.

Does anyone have any thoughts about which yeast might be the more dominant strain? I'm hoping the abbey strain will take over. Here's the recipe

6.6 lbs muntons wheat
2 lbs dark dme
1 lb wheat dme
1 lb belgian candi
1 lb biscuit steeped at 155 for 30 min
0.25 lb special b steep at 155 for 30 min

0.25 oz kent goldings @ 45 min
0.5 oz cascade @ 45 min.
0.5 oz hallertau @ 45 min.
0.5 oz hallertau @ 10 min

us05 & wlp530 - no starter or rehydrating

Well they don't hold up a sign, or wear different jerseys to dilleneate teams :D so anything any of us say is going to be smoke out of our a$$es.....But if you didn't make a starter, then in terms of pure viable cell count alone, the US-05 in theory should be the dominant strain, it would, again in theory need less lag time to reproduce enough troops to start working.

If the liquid needs for example the possibly normal, 72 hours of lag time, the 05 will have already possible taken off.

But like I said, it's only conjecture.

i completely agree with you and thanks for the honesty. it is bubbling away already. what do you think about the recipe? tried to get somewhat creative with it

Back