2 weeks still bubbling. Rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
It's been 2 weeks and my 1.057 batch is down to 1.010 (82% attn), but it is still bubbling in the airlock. Should I rack to secondary or wait until the bubbles stop?

It's been 2 weeks and my 1.057 batch is down to 1.010 (82% attn), but it is still bubbling in the airlock. Should I rack to secondary or wait until the bubbles stop?

You don't need to rack to secondary unless you are fermenting something like a barley wine or sour. Leave it on the yeast until your gravity reading is correct. I would recommend leaving for another 4 or 5 days after your gravity readings are stable. The large colony of yeast will clean up by products produced early in fermentation, like diacetyl.

Racking to secondary risks infection and oxygenation without any real benefit.

Take the reading using a hydrometer. If it's the same for three days than you are ready to transfer

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

Racking to secondary risks infection and oxygenation without any real benefit.

What about off-flavors from cell-death and such?
I never do secondary but I was thinking of doing it this time because of that factor. Just one more thing I wanted to try to improve my beer, I haven't had a really good batch in a while...

You don't have to worry about autolysis for well past a month.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

What about off-flavors from cell-death and such?
I never do secondary but I was thinking of doing it this time because of that factor. Just one more thing I wanted to try to improve my beer, I haven't had a really good batch in a while...

That's not a genuine issue unless you leave it sit on the yeast for months. Give it three weeks primary, crash it if you can then bottle.

Autolysis rarely occurs in a homebrewing setup -- it is much more an issue in professional brewing. You should always wait until fermentation is done before racking to a secondary vessel (if you even need to -- should generally only be done for extended aging). Take a gravity sample, if it stays steady as Lcoron4 said, you're fermentation is done. I generally wait a few days after fermentation has ended to allow the yeast to clean up any byproducts.

Honestly, patience will help a lot with your beers. If you're not in a hurry for a special occasion, try throwing your fermenter in a closet for 3-4 weeks before doing anything to it. You'll definitely notice an improvement in your beers.

3 weeks and its still bubbling. Took 2 gravity readings 4 days apart and both were 1.010...
I've never seen anything like this before!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd rack it if it's been four days of steady gravity. The hydrometer is definitely your best indicator for when your done primary.

Same reading after four days means rack to clear. You''re good to go.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Home Brew mobile app

Back