2 weeks in primary, let me explain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Hey yall, brewed 7lbs of Maris Otter and a really light flavoring of Fuggles a couple weeks ago to syphon into some raspberries. I had to go to MI to get some raspberries from my fathers stash, therefore the beer stayed in the glass carboy for 2 weeks, now it is on the raspberries (2lbs). Should I still leave it in the secondary for two weeks or would one suffice since it was in the primary a week longer than needed?
Also, is it common to get the hop goo layer on the top of your beer in the primary when you do the "0" minute hops for aroma? I have never had the goo until I did "0" minute aroma hops. Thanks

Brewpilot

I'd check the flavor after a week, but most likely you'll want to leave it on the berries for two weeks.

"hop goo" is common. What kind of beer is this? I would think with the rasberries in it, it isn't suppose to be all that clear. If it were me, I'd leave it in the secondary for a week and then bottle it.

Like I said... it was just 7lbs Maris Otter, 1.5 oz Fuggles and I used some dry Nottingham yeast. Started at 1.042, finished at 1.010. It tasted really good prior to going into the raspberries... I am just trying to make a nice timid raspberry ale, something for tha family to sample over the holidays. Will my yeasties be fermenting natural sugars from the infusion of the pasturized raspberries?

Brewpilot

Well, it is compared to Golden Promise... it creates a mellow wort commonly used on traditional Scottish Ales. The color of the beer BEFORE raspberries was comparable to any light american lager, the taste mild and malty. Looks like a winner.

Back