2 weeks after bottling, no sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boser37

Reaction score
First time brewer here. I did a true brew IPA kit in a 6.5 gallon carboy and no secondary. I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I do not know what my OG was but I did have great fermentation activity day 2-3 and about a 2 in yeast cake by the end of 3 weeks. As a side note, like most first timers I rushed some things, I pitched the yeast when the wort was still hot, probably 95 degrees.

I bottled 2 weeks ago using 5 oz of priming sugar boiled into water and then poured it into my bottling bucket while siphoning the brew in. The bottles have been kept at 68 degrees in a dark corner. I checked them today and realized that there is no sediment at the bottom of the bottles and they don't appear to be carbonated. Any ideas or is this normal

They will carb up.. Give them 2 more weeks then put one in the fridge for a day and open it. There has to be enough yeast in suspension to carb them up :) Higher OG the longer it generally takes to carb too so if it was a strong one then it will take extra time. I would bet you a beer that they will carb up with some more time. Cheers and welcome to the best forum around!

First time brewer here. I did a true brew IPA kit in a 6.5 gallon carboy and no secondary. I did not have a hydrometer at the time so I do not know what my OG was but I did have great fermentation activity day 2-3 and about a 2 in yeast cake by the end of 3 weeks. As a side note, like most first timers I rushed some things, I pitched the yeast when the wort was still hot, probably 95 degrees.

I bottled 2 weeks ago using 5 oz of priming sugar boiled into water and then poured it into my bottling bucket while siphoning the brew in. The bottles have been kept at 68 degrees in a dark corner. I checked them today and realized that there is no sediment at the bottom of the bottles and they don't appear to be carbonated. Any ideas or is this normal

Give them another week at least. Also, do yourself a favor and cool the wort before pitching, you'll end up with better beer.

Rick

+1 to the above, they need more time and ideally warm them up a bit if you can, 70 or above and give them another 2 weeks at least

You also want to give your beer some time in the fridge after carbonating for at least 3 weeks (I normally refrigerate for a week min) before drinking.....helps the CO2 in the airspace absorb into beer and helps with head retention the longer it is in fridge.

Give it another week min to condition at room temp.....2 weeks would be better.

Thanks for all the quick input! I let it sit another week and finally popped one open last night! To my surprise is had a nice head on it and carbed up nicely. Unfortunately since it was a kit the hop profile isn't as strong as I'd like and it tastes more like a red amber than anything. Still a very drinkable beer! I think I'm officially hooked.

1 week fridge time gives decent head & carbonation most of the time. But 2 weeks gives thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation. It also gives any chill haze time to settle out like a fog.

Latest posts

Back