2 stuck FG's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoupNazi

Reaction score
Ive been doing AG brews for the past 15 batches, and all have been close their projected FGs as well as tasted great. Then comes this past weekend when I checked my gravities (Six - 5 Gallon batches :rockin:), and found 2 that were not at all where I wanted them to be.

Brew #1- Rochefort 8 Clone

10 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
8.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
1.6 oz Carafa I (337.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM)
1 lbs 11.2 oz Candi Sugar, Dark (125.0 SRM)

1.0 pkg Belgian Abbey II (Wyeast Labs #1762) - 1.5L Starter

Mash:
Protein Rest- 142* for 30 min
Sacc- 155* for 30 min
Mash Out- 168* for 10 min

OG = 1.078
FG = 1.020 fermed @ 70* - 6 weeks in Primary (after rousing attempts) :mad:
Shooting for a FG < 1.012.

Brew #2 - Choconana

8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 51.5 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.4 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.4 %
1 lbs Patagonia Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.4 %
12.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.8 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.2 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9 3.2 %
8.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM)

0.75 oz Cascade [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 20.3 IBUs
1.05 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 12 -
1.05 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 12.0 mins) Other 13 -
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for 10 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 14 6.4 %
0.60 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 1.4 IBUs
0.40 oz Hallertauer [6.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 16 1.6 IBUs
4.00 oz Semi-Sweet Chocolate (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 17 -
4.00 oz Unsweetened Cocoa (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 18 -
8.3 oz Brown Sugar, Dark [Boil for 5 min](50.0 SRM) Sugar 19 3.4 %
Still to be dry-hopped with bananas.

2.0 pkg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) [124.21 ml]

Mashed @ 155* for 60 min
Mash-Out @ 168 for 10 min

OG = 1.080
FG = 1.038 @ 3 weeks fermed @ 70*F
Shooting for a FG ~1.024

I have a bottle of Amalase Enzyme (Alpha Amalase I assume). I am considering using it on both batches, but I have no idea on how much to achieve my desired FG. Not really looking to dry out my sweet stout, but would like the belgian to come down a bit more. The container states: "1 tsp per 5 gal".

Anybody have experience with this and has an estimate of how many gravity points 1 tsp with drop these puppies?

And if I use some, does the yeast cake need to be present to do its magic, or can I rack off it and wash/reuse?

Much Thanks HBT.

Your rochefort clone has attenuated 74.4%, well within the yeast's reference of 73-77%. An FG of >1.012 would have meant an attenuation of 84%. Quite off the reference values. It's probably a % the yeast might do occasionally, but for this beer the fermentation is complete, provided the SG has stopped sinking.

An apparant attenuation of 52% for your sweet stout seems low, but you did mash at 68.33c. My uneducated guess is that both of these fermentations are complete.

Edit: Though I'd be more worried about the stout than the rochefort. Grenades are not fun.

The rochefort is done, you might raise the temp on the sweet stout a little, give it a swirl and wait another week or so but with the amount of adjuncts in there it could be close to FG as well. Have you dry bananaed it yet?

Edit: NM I see that you haven't dry bananaed it yet, i would raise the temp some, swirl, add bananas then wait.

I am curious to see if you get flavors of plum in your Rochefort 8.

I had one finish a little high and liked it more than the ones that finished lower due to the plum taste.

Thanks for the replies.

I see nobody mentioned the Amalase enzyme. I think im going to add a tiny amount and see if I can squeeze off a couple more points on each brew. I am aware of the risks associated with bottle bombs after adding AA- So I plan to keg and condition both these brews to be on the safe side.

Mashing at 155 guarantees a higher FG. If you want a drier beer, having a lower FG, mash much lower. For a triple, I've mashed at 147 and 149 for a higher attenuation (and using little to no crystal malt).

In the second beer, remember that a pound of lactose will increase the FG by about .009 right there. With mashing high, the lactose, the less fermentable ingredients, etc, and an OG of 1.080, I'd definitely expect a high FG.

I would NOT use amylase to drop the FG as the beer is simply done.

Yooper said:
Mashing at 155 guarantees a higher FG. If you want a drier beer, having a lower FG, mash much lower. For a triple, I've mashed at 147 and 149 for a higher attenuation (and using little to no crystal malt).

In the second beer, remember that a pound of lactose will increase the FG by about .009 right there. With mashing high, the lactose, the less fermentable ingredients, etc, and an OG of 1.080, I'd definitely expect a high FG.

I would NOT use amylase to drop the FG as the beer is simply done.

Thanks Yoop.

Looks like I'll chalk this one up as a learning experience.

Or I could throw some 3711...

That will only help if what stopped the FG is the attenuation % of the yeast. If there's no more fermentables, there's no more fermentables. I doubt it would have any effect, and would in the best case completely shift the profile of two beers that are most likely delicious.

UPDATE:

The Rochefort 8 clone was left alone and is ageing in a keg.

I ended up racking the Choconana on 1.5 lbs of peeled, frozen, thawed & mushed bananas as well as 1 tsp of Amalase Enzyme dissolved in water and let it sit for 2 weeks while on vacation. Obvious signs of another fermentation were present before I left, so hopes were high.

Pulled a sample today and was happy to see a gravity of 1.020! Dropped 18 points in 2 weeks and is sitting @ 7.9% ABV. The taste was also fantastic! The appearance of rich black oil with dominant chocolate flavors and subtle banana notes. Kind of what I was aiming for. Just hope the gravity stays consistent and does not thin out anymore.

Back