2 quick questions before bottling (actually 3)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhody

Reaction score
This is my first batch in years and probably only my 4th overall but I brewed up some IPA last Saturday. It was bubbling away nicely the next day and has slowed down considerably (I know bubbles aren't the best way to judge when to bottle). Am I correct that after a week I should take another gravity reading then repeat until I have a steady reading for 3 days or so before bottling? The "directions" say to bottle after a week but I want to get it right.

Also I noticed a good amount of flakes floating around in the wort from steeping the grains and there are wood chips in the fermenter as well, do you guys strain your beers when transferring the beer over to the bottling bucket? I wonder if some sort of screen could be placed around the bottom of the siphoning tube?

In an unrelated question I remember my previous batch having this "dirt" taste to it, it was a brown ale and it wasn't overpowering but definately had a dirt or burned taste to it, any idea what would cause that?

You are right about waiting until you get consistent gravity readings on consecutive days. A week is the minimum amount of time I leave my beers in primary. Also make sure the reading is at least close to your target FG, otherwise you might have a stuck ferment.

I never worry about straining my wort, I use an autosiphon so most of that stuff gets left behind anyway.

Without know some specifics I can't really comment on the dirt taste, what was the recipe you used?

Your burnt or dirt taste is it possible you scorched or burned (assuming extract) to the bottom of your brew pot?

For best results wait three weeks before bottling.

I wouldn't worry about the chunks just try not to get any in the bottling bucket. If you strain it your going to aerate which is bad.

I would guess the dirt taste is some sort of infection. I had a buddies homebrew one time that tasted like that. It tasted like the **** out of a shrimps back.

This is my first batch in years and probably only my 4th overall but I brewed up some IPA last Saturday. It was bubbling away nicely the next day and has slowed down considerably (I know bubbles aren't the best way to judge when to bottle). Am I correct that after a week I should take another gravity reading then repeat until I have a steady reading for 3 days or so before bottling? The "directions" say to bottle after a week but I want to get it right.
You should wait until fermentation is complete. Yes, that is told by gravity readings. I wouldn't open it up every day until I get 3 consecutive readings though. That's a bit too often for me. Take a reading, wait a few days, take another reading. If they are exactly the same, then contemplate bottling. Wait a few more days and take another reading. If they are all the same, I'd bottle or transfer to secondary or just let it sit a few more weeks. Remember that time will only help the beer, not hurt it. After fermentation, the yeast will begin to clean up after themselves and make your beer cleaner. Don't rush it to the bottle.

Also I noticed a good amount of flakes floating around in the wort from steeping the grains and there are wood chips in the fermenter as well, do you guys strain your beers when transferring the beer over to the bottling bucket? I wonder if some sort of screen could be placed around the bottom of the siphoning tube?
They do indeed sell screens for the bottom of your racking cane. One is stainless and is called SureScreen. They don't recommend this one for plastic fermenters or plastic racking canes. You could also DIY a section of sanitized nylon grain bag over the end.

Hope this helps.

Back