2 packets of Nottingham enough for 1.113 OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I'm brewing an imperial stout this weekend with expected OG 1.113. I was planning to pitch 2 re-hydrated packets of Nottingham Ale Yeast. I can't get a clear answer on whether this will be enough - all the different yeast pitch calculators provide different answers. A buddy of mine just brewed an imperial stout with 2 packets of Nottingham and got 75% attenuation for 12.2% abv; however, brewer's friend calculator says I need 4-5 packets. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Alternatively, I've got a packet of White Labs California Ale Yeast and could make a 4-liter starter...

For an OG of 1.113, I would personally use 5 sachets for 20-25 liters ( 5-6 gallons ), which is where my final volume ends up. You will find many (home)brewers that will say 2 sachets are fine. I use two sachets for 6.5 gallons with an OG of 1.055-1.065.

Nottingham is quick and has high attenuation. I get anything from 78-82% AA with it. 75% AA would be typical for a 156-157F mash and at least 20% roasted/crystal malt in the recipe. High ABV beer is not cheap, so if you want it to last 2-3 years in your cellar, I would use enough yeast to make sure such a beer, does not come out with flaws, which time cannot make up for.

You'd need a step starter with the single pack of WLP001. Even if it's under 3 months old and never mishandled.

I would make a 3 liter vitality starter with 2 packs of Notty. Rehydrate the dry yeast before adding to well-aerated or oxygenated starter wort. Pre-calculate your needed starter gravity so you get 1.040 wort in the end, including the rehydration volume.

Spin that for 8 hours and pitch the whole shebang.

Needless to say, you need to aerate, or better oxygenate your batch wort well. And again up to 8-12 hours later, before visible signs of fermentation.

I fermented a 1.10 gravity barleywine fine with a single pack of Nottingham,
There have been a couple of topics 'recently' where people talk about successfully pitching at 1/2 the normal rate into a OG 60-ish wort (1/2 of a 11 gram packet into a five gallon batch). I've fermented a couple of times with way and the beer came out fine.

I haven't used Nottingham with a "big" beer, but when I start with a new strain, my starting point is generally to follow the yeast provider instructions.

Or, as one of the yeast providers suggests:

1) "respect the recommended fermentation instructions" (so personally, I'd skip the starter) and

2) "make fermentation trials" (this would be the fun part!)

1.113 OG, that's some jacked up juice... I did a more than double bock @1.110 OG. I've had it kegged, on gas and in lager 7 months now. I don't plan on tapping it until it's lagered at least 1 year.

Lallemands own yeast pitch calculator: Pitching rate calculator | Lallemand Brewing

It says 32 grams for 6 gallons at 1.113. So that's 3 sachets. There's your quick answer. Please post your complete recipe, and when teh beer is ready, post some thoughts on the process and tell us how fermentation went. Cheers and good luck.

Thanks for this! I hadn't seen this one. Mr Malty told me 2 sachets whereas Brewer's Friend told me 5. I think I'll pitch 3 sachets of Nottingham. I was planning to use the WLP001 but I've heard good things about Nottingham and rehydrating 3 packets sounds like way less of a pain in the ass than building up a 4-liter starter. I was even toying with the idea of pitching a 4-liter starter of WLP001 plus 1 sachet of Nottingham, but I'll save that idea for another time. I'm brewing an imperial stout estimated at 12% abv that I intend to primary for 3 weeks and then rack onto bourbon-soaked medium oak cubes and secondary for 3-6 months.

..I intend to primary for 3 weeks and then rack onto bourbon-soaked medium oak cubes and secondary for 3-6 months.
Since you plan to age on oak for a while I would suggest using a mix of toasted and un-toasted oak, otherwise your oak character will be sorta one-note and probably dominated by the smoky char flavor. I like MacLean's liquor barrel wood chips from Menard's, they are cheap, about $7 for a good sized bag that will last you awhile. Great flavor, just rinse well to remove dust then bake them for a bit to dry and sanitize before throwing them in your beer. I've heard they are widely used by hobby distillers for aging spirits.

1593030232909.png

I've used the McLain's for smoking and never really felt they added enough as smoking wood. Excited to have another option using them. Thanks
Since you plan to age on oak for a while I would suggest using a mix of toasted and un-toasted oak, otherwise your oak character will be sorta one-note and probably dominated by the smoky char flavor. I like MacLean's liquor barrel wood chips from Menard's, they are cheap, about $7 for a good sized bag that will last you awhile. Great flavor, just rinse well to remove dust then bake them for a bit to dry and sanitize before throwing them in your beer. I've heard they are widely used by hobby distillers for aging spirits.

View attachment 686510

I'm brewing an imperial stout this weekend with expected OG 1.113. I was planning to pitch 2 re-hydrated packets of Nottingham Ale Yeast. I can't get a clear answer on whether this will be enough - all the different yeast pitch calculators provide different answers. A buddy of mine just brewed an imperial stout with 2 packets of Nottingham and got 75% attenuation for 12.2% abv; however, brewer's friend calculator says I need 4-5 packets. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Alternatively, I've got a packet of White Labs California Ale Yeast and could make a 4-liter starter...
I pitched 1 packet of Nottingham in each 5-gallon fermenter in my RIS. It is at 11+ % and 1.023 in the secondary. Started at 1.105. I am happy with that. I always add yeast nutrient and I oxygenate.

I have used 2 packets per fermenter in the past but I haven't seen any difference in the outcome.

FWIW, a few months ago I fermented a 1.104 OG Barleywine with 2 packets of Nottingham. It took it down to 1.014 FG. I just sprinkled it on top of well aerated wort. I think you will be fine with 2 packets. An Imperial Stout will most likely finish higher so attenuation will be similar.

Lallemands own yeast pitch calculator: Pitching rate calculator | Lallemand Brewing

It says 32 grams for 6 gallons at 1.113. So that's 3 sachets. There's your quick answer. Please post your complete recipe, and when teh beer is ready, post some thoughts on the process and tell us how fermentation went. Cheers and good luck.

Yes, use a pitch rate calculator optimized for dry yeast! Other pitch rate calculators designed for liquid yeast can result in significant overpitching.

An interesting section on page 122 in White and Zainasheff's Yeast book discusses recommended pitching rates. They state that the recommendations (about 0.75 million cells per ml per degree Plato) is for repitching harvested yeast. When using fresh yeast, you might use half as much.

FWIW, When I make a big beer, I brew a normal beer of similar flavor profile first, get it in the keg, and then put the chilled, high-gravity wort on top of the yeast cake. I did this two weeks ago with a 12% barley wine and it started rolling within 45 minutes. No nutrients, no added yeast.

Latest posts

Back