2 L Soda Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wanting to bottle some beer in 2L bottles. Mostly because there are less bottles to clean and cap. Also it is convenient to take a 2L to a friends or a party to drink.

I would like to use 2L soda bottles BUT I heard that they are not safe to use due to the plastic being delicate and toxins leaching into the beer causing cancer. Does anyone know anything about this??

Also is there a reasonably priced way to bottle beer in 2L glass bottles?? Or any safe alternatives?

Any ideas would help alot!!

I'm still pretty new to brewing myself but I think 2L soda bottles is a bad idea. Not only the crappy plastic leeching but I doubt they will be able to withstand the pressures of carbonation. My thoughts would be to keg the beer then when you visit friends grab a 1 gallon growler and fill it until the foam hits the top and the put the cap on. The idea with the foam is to push out any oxygen. Just make sure you drink it all when you crack it open otherwise it will slowly go flat.

brewser7 said:
I'm still pretty new to brewing myself but I think 2L soda bottles is a bad idea. Not only the crappy plastic leeching but I doubt they will be able to withstand the pressures of carbonation. My thoughts would be to keg the beer then when you visit friends grab a 1 gallon growler and fill it until the foam hits the top and the put the cap on. The idea with the foam is to push out any oxygen. Just make sure you drink it all when you crack it open otherwise it will slowly go flat.

I'm confused. Why do chemicals know to leach into beer but not into soda? And the soda I buy comes carbonated. I'm confused.

I'm not too sure about bottling in a 2L, but you can put kegged beer in one. They make these screw on caps (your local HB store might have them) that screw on to the bottle after you fill it and give it a little bit of co2. Works nicely for holding pressure for a bit and taking beer to friends houses.

Yea guys I don't have a kegging system - that's why i bottle :(

I seen some guys bottle their beer in the soda bottles they hold the pressure fine. Just was worried about the health effects. Can u get 2L glass bottles?

Yea guys I don't have a kegging system - that's why i bottle :(

I seen some guys bottle their beer in the soda bottles they hold the pressure fine. Just was worried about the health effects. Can u get 2L glass bottles?

I remember the last time I saw those was about 1980. I would try your local discount store (99 cents, food 4 less, etc.) They always seem to have glass bottles of drinks like soda water or whatever.

cmon!! no leaching, no health effects, the only thing is UV light and PETE is permeable of oxygen!! those are the only problems!!! you can use the brown rootbeer 2ltr bottles but rootbeer is a hard smell to get rid of!!!

If I am not mistaken soda is much more acidic than beer making soda more likely to leach.

Soda is carbed higher than beer. 4+ volumes I believe.

Are we really concerned that atmospheric oxygen is going to penetrate into a CO2 pressurized environment?

That leaves UV. I keep my brown bottles away from heat and light. Done.

I'm confused. Why do chemicals know to leach into beer but not into soda? And the soda I buy comes carbonated. I'm confused.

I've "heard" that refilling a water bottle with water could be bad for you due to leaching. I've never personally researched it so I have zero factual information, just heresay. This sounds like a good topic to research tomorrow at work :)

I have not bottled beer in 2L soda bottles, but I HAVE bottled carbonated apfelwein in them...and it worked just fine. The carbonation does sometimes push out the bottom of the bottle, but not enough to rupture. I reused the original screw-off caps, and had no problems whatsoever.

The ONLY caution: if you use CLEAR plastic bottles, store them in a dark place. "Skunky" beer is disgusting!

And sanitizing them should be no problem...just swirl some StarSan around inside them, pour out the liquid and then fill with beer.

glenn514:mug:

They work fine. The only caution I have is to not use a "smelly" soda bottle, like Dr. Pepper or root beer as that smell NEVER comes out!

Also, I'd prefer 1L bottles because when you bottle you get some sediment in the bottom of a bottle. Generally, you pour the beer in one pour, and pour off of the sediment so you don't jostle around the sediment and get a beer that has crud in it. If you have a serving pitcher, you'd pour into a pitcher and serve from there. But a two liter volume is generally too much to pour out in a single pour.

When you bottle with soda bottles, just make sure to keep them in a dark place and screw the lids on nice and tight. When you squeeze them, and they are hard, they are carbed up. Then you can chill them as needed.

:off: Yooper, your avatar is hot.....totally off topic but it was worth saying.

Okay, carry on with the 2L discussion :D

brewser7 said:
I've "heard" that refilling a water bottle with water could be bad for you due to leaching. I've never personally researched it so I have zero factual information, just heresay. This sounds like a good topic to research tomorrow at work :)

I always thought bottled water companies said that to get you to buy more of their overpriced water instead of refilling from *gasp!* the tap.

I researched a little bit about this today and nothing was quite definite. Once source conflicts another. However, one experiment showed that people who drank out of plastic bottles had higher levels of BPA in their urine than those who drank from stainless steel which in turn means they were ingesting more. BPA has been known to increase risk of diabetes, some types of cancer, some reproductive issues and a few other things. Canada has declared BPA a toxic substance and it has been banned in baby bottles in Canada and the European Union.

I guess the moral of the story is if you are going to feed your baby beer, do it from a glass bottle.

Back