2 kegs different carb results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunmetal

Reaction score
Both kegs have the same volume of beer. Both were carbed off of the same tank with a T fitting. 30 psi for one day, then both were at 12 for 4.5 days now. They both are the same recipe, but brewed back to back, both really hoppy ipa's. I only took about a 1/3 of a glass sample of each, the first had a quarter inch of foam, and seemed to have a lot of bubbles still in suspension. I think it will be O.K. Both kegs are for a party this Saturday about 3 days from now. The second keg poured with about an inch and a half of foam. The foam did settle after a couple of minutes. It looked clearer and did not seem to have all the bubbles in suspension. These were the first pours, so they may have a little sediment in them. I was just going to take the second keg off the gas and vent it some, and leave the first keg at 12 psi. I am going to serve them off of the same tap and I could change the serving pressure on each one. What do you think? Leave both at 12 psi, take the over keg off the gas and vent?

Beer temperature is important in the equation, but as it wasn't mentioned, let's go with an example of 40°F. To achieve and maintain a typical 2.5 volumes of CO2 carbonation level, you'd want to carbonate and dispense using 12 psi.

So, if your beer is at 40°F, leave the gas connected and set for 12 psi. If the temperature is higher or lower, use the friendly carbonation table to find the appropriate CO2 pressure to use for both carbonation and dispensing.

Keeping the kegs on gas the carbonation level will only get better - right now those kegs are likely still under-carbonated...

Cheers!

The fridge is at around 39 degrees, I think I will leave them at 12 psi. I just thought it was strange to see basically the same beer at identical pressure carb so differently.

Back