2 gallon IPA with wild hops test recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
A few months ago I harvested and dried about 10 ounces of wild hops here in New Mexico. They were growing around 7,200ft near a stream and I'm guessing they might be related to neomexicanus but really have no clue.

Anyway, I want to try brewing with these but since I have no clue what the AAs are I was planning on adding all of the wild hops as late and dry hop additions with some Columbus at 60min for bittering.

Does this sound good for a 2 gallon test batch?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 2.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 1.78 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 7.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 60.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5 lbs 4.0 oz -- Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 91.3 %
8.0 oz -- Amber (Crisp) (27.5 SRM) 8.7 %

0.35 oz -- Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60 min
1.00 oz -- Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz -- Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz -- Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

1.00 oz Rio en Medio [7.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

I plan on fermenting with US-05.

Does that boil schedule look ok? I was hesitant to do longer additions with the wild hops in case they lend too much bitterness.

I think it will be fine as is. I'd probably move one ounce of the boil hops to the dry hop, but its not a big deal. Hopefully it comes out good!

I think it will be fine as is. I'd probably move one ounce of the boil hops to the dry hop, but its not a big deal. Hopefully it comes out good!

Thanks. I already have 1 oz of dry hopping in there. Are you thinking I should bump the dry hop up to 2 oz and remove one of the boil additions? If that were the case, think I should get ride of the 10m addition or one of the late/flameout ones?

Yea I would make the dry hop 2oz. You could remove the 5 minute addition to dry hop, maybe move the 10 minute to a 15 minute and then keep the 0 minute where it is

Back