2 element 120v setup wouldn't boil full volume 5 gallon batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have the PID controlling this in manual mode?

For diagnostics, I would recommend a wattmeter. How much each is drawing? Also, perhaps you have a bad SSR?

I, like others, think you should be boiling.

I plugged both elements in straight to the wall bypassing the controller and it still wouldn't bring it to a boil. ?

Control panel was bypassed for testing.

At best he might have 2875w in the kettle, and likely less as some elements don't put out quite what they claim. So if he only has 2500-2600w, that's on the cusp of boiling for a kettle that large IME.

Kettle is 17" tall and 16" wide. Ambient temp was around 70 degrees. I didn't measure actual voltage, but it would presumably be between 110 and 120 as it should be. I am however boiling more like 7.5 gallons due to having such a wide kettle. I know it's not my controller because I decided to try running both elements directly plugged into the wall and still did not get a boil. .

Post 4

Wait,I never saw how much liquid you were trying to boil. You said your pot is 70 quart? How full was it?

This is a pretty typical 5.5 gallon batch. Due to the wide kettle, I boil a little more than usual because of the outrageous boil off. I'd say it was around half full.

Back