2 different types of yeast in a 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollywood260

Reaction score
So, This weekend I am brewing a batch of Honey Wheat Blueberry (grain bill below) that my cousin concocted and tastes amazing. But the original gravity will be HUGE at 1.107. So, I am looking at throwing two different yeasts at it for the high OG. Has anyone done this or do you typically use the same yeast in larger quantities due to OG.

Use a yeast with an alcohol tolerance high enough to finish the job and use one of the online yeast calculators to figure out how much yeast to use. Using and additional different strain in insufficient quantities will not increase your attenuation.

You can use two different yeasts in a beer but not because of a high OG. Using two different yeasts will create a different profile and flavors. If you aren't looking to do this, just use more of the same yeast. Either use 2 dry packets or 2 vials in a 2 liter starter.

Back