2 cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsimonssays

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to brew my 2nd batch tomorrow (first one turned out great thanks to your advice!). I have two quick questions that I'm hoping you can help me out with.

1.) If you clean your equipment after you use it on one batch, do you need to clean it again before you use it on the next? Or is sanitizing enough at that point?

2.) I bought some Oxiclean to use as a cleanser. What ratio of Oxiclean to water do you use? "scoop" doesn't mean anything to me as mine came without a scoop. Is 1 Tablespoon for gallon enough or too much?

Thanks in advance!

1) just sanitize.
2) since you're just cleaning with Oxiclean, not sanitizing, just use what works. 1 tsp/gal would be enough for light cleaning. 2-3 tbsp/gal would help with dried on krausen, etc.

as far as the oxiclean goes, if you have water like i do, it will leave a crystalline film on everything. i just have to do a weak acid rinse (some vinegar in water) to remove it. works great, but causes me an extra step, just fyi.

as far as how much, i just sort of dump some in and go. i usually only use it for soaking things in, like bottles. i use dish soap and rinse well for things i'm cleaning on the spot.

1) just sanitize.
2) since you're just cleaning with Oxiclean, not sanitizing, just use what works. 1 tsp/gal would be enough for light cleaning. 2-3 tbsp/gal would help with dried on krausen, etc.

+1 on this (exactly actually...)a scoop is about 1/4-1/3 cup i think....i use about 1/3 cup to soak my 6 gallon glass carboys overnight. I keg so have never used it on bottles.

If you clean your equipment and keep it in a large rubbermaid (or similar) container, then, you simply rinse like has been suggested above. My well water and oxiclean get along great. I don't really measure.....just dump some in. Heck I use it for everything. Makes a great 'prewash' filler in the dishwasher, cleans a carboy with no brush over night, etc....

My oxiclean scoop was buried pretty far into the crystals... maybe it's there somewhere if you dig down.

Back