2 beers, which yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
I'm currently scheming for my next brewday.

I'd like to make an ESB and try my hand at a deschutes obsidian stout clone.

First off, can I do this with one yeast?
Second, would wyeast 1098 work?
lastly, I'm thinking ESB first--right?

ESB recipe calls for S04 and deschutes uses "English ale" yeast

Thoughts?

I just did an Obsidian clone using White Labs WLP002 "English Ale", and it turned out killer. I think WLP002 would also work for an ESB. Are you wondering which to do first because you are harvesting the yeast?

Sulli said:
I just did an Obsidian clone using White Labs WLP002 "English Ale", and it turned out killer. I think WLP002 would also work for an ESB. Are you wondering which to do first because you are harvesting the yeast?

Yeah, I was going to brew the stout when I bottle/keg the ESB, racking onto the yeast cake... But, it sounds like it's worth taking the extra time to to measure the slurry, so as not to overpitch.

I'd like to use wyeast, what is their version of 002?

yeah, i was going to brew the stout when i bottle/keg the esb, racking onto the yeast cake... But, it sounds like it's worth taking the extra time to to measure the slurry, so as not to overpitch.

I'd like to use wyeast, what is their version of 002?
1968. I just used this for a brown ale and it is super flocculent. Dropped like a rock when I would turn off my stir plate while making a starter.

Back