2 50 amp outlets on the same circuit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard_of_Frobozz

Reaction score
Code question for the knowledgeable out there: can you have two (or more) 50 amp outlets on the same circuit or do they have to be on separate circuits?

The reason I ask is because I am building my new brew room in my pole barn, which also stores my camper. The camper is going to have a 50 amp outlet, and so is the brew room. The whole barn is fed from a 100 amp panel, so I can’t really brew and run the RV air conditioners at the same time anyway.

So...to save wiring (6/3 is expensive!) I thought I might add the brew room outlet into the same circuit as the RV outlet. One 50 amp GFCI breaker would protect the circuit in case I forget and try to brew while the trailer A/C’s are running.

I looked through the code, and I found a statement that says it’s allowed as long as “each service has a means to be disconnected”. If they were hardwired, that would mean two separate circuits; since both will be plugs, that means they can be disconnected. Am I interpreting this correctly? 120v household circuits have multiples outlets; seems like 240v should be no different.

Any code experts out there?

Thanks!

Thanks! I know it will be safe, since the 50 amp breaker will prevent an overcurrent.

I really want to make sure it’s ok from a code perspective. It’s pretty unusual to see multiple 50 amp outlets on one circuit, and I want to make sure I’m correct before arguing with my inspector.

The breakers are cheap (well, not the GFCI breaker...) but the wire is not. It’s about 75 feet from the panel to the outlets, which would be another $100-$150. Saving that money is my main reason for doing it since I can’t use both at the same time anyway.

you could have a hundred 50 amp receptacles on a single branch circuit and be perfectly code complaint. the nec dictates receptacle, conductor and circuit breaker rating requirements for a given circuit but does not dictate quantity of receptacles. what it does dictate is that the total load on the circuit does not exceed the circuit rating. it places the onerous on the user to comply.

you could have a hundred 50 amp receptacles on a single branch circuit and be perfectly code complaint. the nec dictates receptacle, conductor and circuit breaker rating requirements for a given circuit but does not dictate quantity of receptacles. what it does dictate is that the total load on the circuit does not exceed the circuit rating. it places the onerous on the user to comply.

That’s what I thought. If the load is hardwired, then it has to have a dedicated circuit. My interpretation is that receptacles count as a “means to disconnect” the load, and thus are code compliant no matter how many are on a circuit.

However, since most residential inspectors are used to only seeing one load per 240v circuit, I wanted to make sure I’m correctly interpreting this before I start running the circuit.

no doubt, multiple 50 amp receptacles on a single circuit is rather rare in a residential application but still permissible. if the inspector gives you any beef, kindly ask for a code reference section which supports his/her claim.

but the fact that you are getting an inspection means you applied for a permit, correct? wouldn't this issue have come up when you applied for the permit?

Two thoughts. Why are you running your camper AC while sitting in your pole building?
If you install it, and don't tell anyone, who's going to know? Just only use one at a time.

I can't get your link to work.

Split bolt connectors, and wrap them with electrical tape. They are not very expensive. Watch out for the number of conductors entering/leaving the junction box; there's a cubic inch requirement.

Yes, I got a permit for the job, but it didn’t require details for each circuit (yeah, I was surprised too!).

I think I’ll check with the county before I buy the wire. It’s cheaper per foot if I buy a 125 ft roll, but less expensive overall if I only buy 75 ft. I also have access to a current NEC code book that I will have on site when the inspector shows up...

Consider using #4 aluminum wire. The connectors cost a little more and you should put black antioxide goop on them, but you'll save quite a bit on the cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two thoughts. Why are you running your camper AC while sitting in your pole building?
If you install it, and don't tell anyone, who's going to know? Just only use one at a time.

Because it gets too dang hot and humid around here! SWMBO won’t help load the trailer up for a camping trip if the A/C isn’t running, and I don’t really blame her. It also acts as guest quarters when we have visitors.

As for doing it without telling anyone, I’d rather not go down that road. Keeping things legal is best in the long run.

I can't get your link to work.

Split bolt connectors, and wrap them with electrical tape. They are not very expensive. Watch out for the number of conductors entering/leaving the junction box; there's a cubic inch requirement.

Yeah, I messed up putting it in. Stupid mobile app! I redid it in post #13.

Not sure if split bolt connectors will work when you have 3 wires to tie together. How do you make that work?

I’ll pay close attention to box size; thanks for the heads up!

Back