2.5 or 3 gallon keg, trade for 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABI Brewery

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to get a good 2.5 or 3 gallon corney keg so that it will fit my cooler when I go camping, I was wondering if anyone new of any for sale or trade two for a 5 gallon

tap: EPMP - american Lager
tap: leafy green - IPA
on deck: basement dweller - session IPA

ABI, there are 2.5s around, check Amazon or keg suppliers. They aren't as common as the fives, and generally cost more. I rarely see them come up second-hand. Good luck with your search.

ABI, there are 2.5s around, check Amazon or keg suppliers. They aren't as common as the fives, and generally cost more. I rarely see them come up second-hand. Good luck with your search.

Adventures in Homebrewing (AIH) sells new 2.5 and 3 gallon ball lock kegs. Even a 1.75 gallon, but that one may not be all that much smaller than the 2.5 or 3, since the (rubber covered) top and bottom sections are all the same size and height.

Those kegs are made in China, from what they say. Not sure if A.E.B. (made in Italy) makes any smaller ones than their 5 gallons.

FWIW, AIH is running a sitewide 10% off special right now.

I would just add that whatever you pay for the smaller kegs it will prove to be worth. I have 4 now, 2 I bought new, 2 bought used. I've found having them for multi purposes makes them invaluable to me and I'd pay more now knowing the value they've brought.

Being able to transfer out remaining beer from a 5G keg to these to free up for a new batch being racked is used quite often to keep my pipeline going.

I guess I could buy more 5Gs but these have other uses when I want to spin off a trial batch and don't want to tie up a 5G keg, or to take some beer in the rolling tap cooler.

Long winded reply, but trying to say, just get some now as you won't regret the money spent.

Thanks everyone for the info, I bought one of the torpedo kegs from more beer, should be perfect, I am going to to a state park in Minnesota camping for a long fathers day weekend and cant wait to see how this works out

Back