1st time using wyeast pack...help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendrixsrv630

Reaction score
k im about to start brewing a four peaks hop knot clone and i just popped the wyeast smack pack...then i read the back and it said let it sit for 3 hours before using... should i just wait a few hours before i start iv only started to boil the water or should it be fine to use in an hour or so when the wort is done and chilled.

I had the same problem on my first brew day. My brewday lasts a lot longer than an hour though. Even with the water boiling you have to take into account stirring in your extract, bring it back to a boil, proper cooling and aeration. For me thats more like 2 hours.

I think that waiting a bit longer wouldn't hurt if you don't mind, but I think the more important thing at this point is that your yeast warms up to room temperature. You don't want to pitch cold yeast into a 70 degree wort.

You'll be fine. When I get my yeast home from the lhbs (10 min away), I let it warm up for about 1/2 hour, then smack. It takes off after about 1 hour or so.

okay i allready poped it should i let it sit outside to room temp or in the fridge still? its in the fridge now

Don't over think it. I've never heard of a pack popping from pressure so you can't let it sit too long. And the pack says you can pitch it without even breaking the pack so there's no "too little" time. You should be just fine.

I could be mistaking but I remember listening to a podcast with wyeast and they mentioned the smacking of the pack is only to ensure the yeast is alive and not necessary.

Also if you're not going to use it today then put it in the fridge otherwise just leave it out.

k i have the smack pack sitting out to get to room temp...im gonna wait an hour or so to start the brew so hopfully by the time i pitch its been like 2.5-3 hours :)

I could be mistaking but I remember listening to a podcast with wyeast and they mentioned the smacking of the pack is only to ensure the yeast is alive and not necessary.

correct. smacking the pack releases some nutrients and allows the yeast to start eating and making CO2. this is why smack packs swell (usually). if you never smacked the pack, you would essentially be starting with yeast just as if you were using a vial of yeast.

Wow, I must be the only one who has had a pack pop on me. I don't recall the type of yeast, but it sat at room temp for six hours after the smack and split a hole in the bottom. Quite the mess I had to clean up. Lucky I had a second one in the fridge.

I retract my previous comment lol. I've had them get pretty puffy, almost like a football, but never a pop. If it absolutely had to sit at room temp for a long time I'd probably poke a hole at the top with a pin or something.

Back