1st time Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewmike

Reaction score
I have my first kegerator, and have a batch that will be coming out of the fermentor next Sunday(mothers day). What is the best way to carbonate the IPA and how long should I let it condition? I will also be dry hopping in the keg.

Read up on force carbing and set it and forget methods. If you don't have time then force carb it if not I usually just let it sit at my serving psi fr a couple of weeks and it is ready. You probably don't want to condition an IPA very long especially if you are dry hopping in the keg.

Thanks for the advice. One of my biggest problems is I cant wait to taste test. I usally open a bottle after abouta week. Is there a problem pouring a glass after a week, will it cause conditioning to stop?

I've had some rather good success in dry hopping in the keg by tying the hop bag on a length of teflon tape, and cutting the length so that the hop bag comes out of the beer at about a half a keg. This way the hops aren't in the beer for the full length of the life of the keg. The teflon tape lays flat on top of the o-ring at the top of the keg and should seal perfectly. Mine does.
But you know..... my kegs last quite a while! If you are going to drink the keg in a month it would probably be fine to leave the hops in the beer the whole time? My kegs usually last at least two months. Depending on events in my house UFC related.

As for the carbing? Cavebrewing was extremely succinct in his description of carbing methods. I force carb a lot!
Cheers! Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. One of my biggest problems is I cant wait to taste test. I usally open a bottle after abouta week. Is there a problem pouring a glass after a week, will it cause conditioning to stop?

Nope, pour away!! It may be a bit flat but it will get better with time! : )

There are different ways to carb up the keg. Really depends on how fast you want it to be ready. I have gone from kegging to drinking a fully carbed glass in less than 48hrs. However, it's not ideal as you have some carbonic bite from the co2....but it's doable. As mentioned, read up on the different methods and as always, ask questions if you get confused. As for conditioning, your beer will continue to age and condition until it's gone. I have beers in my kegerator that are 2 months old that taste better and better each glass. Go to it and cheers!

I just kegged for the first time. I used the set it and forget it method. For my pale ale, I set the gas at 11 psi and left if for 1 week. Tried it yesterday, and it was right on the money, perfect carbonation.

Just remember not to drink the first pint or 2 due to sediment.

I usually hit it with 30 PSI and let it sit for 24 hours and back off to serving pressure. After about 2 days at serving pressure it's cold and carbonated enough to start drinking. 7 days total they are usually perfect.

Back