1st time kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollywoodMX

Reaction score
hey,

so its my 1st time kegging (just switched from bottling) i use a 1 step fermenter. question is when i am transferring my beer from the fermenter to the keg, what should i set the PSI at?
I read somewhere to set the PSI at 12, any thoughts?
I have a kegerator that the keg will be stored in.

Thanks,

oh wow, i thought that i would be able to hook up the co2 and drink the next day? is there a quicker way, or setting the psi higher to make it drinkable sooner?

yes, you can crank it way up like around 35 and roll it around on the ground but I have never tried it. Search for force carbing threads.

I've not done any of what he does on the videos, not because I don't want to, but because I've just recently gotten interested in home brewing, and haven't started my new hobby yet. Just watched some of Craig's videos, and they are very informative. Not sure what anyone else thinks of him, but here is the first of his videos on kegging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Midwest sends out a video with thier kits....it says 30 psi for 2 days then to turn off CO2 and release extra pressure in the keg then turn it on to dispensing pressure...think that was 5-7 psi. I dont have first hand knowledge, just relaying what they say.

oh wow, i thought that i would be able to hook up the co2 and drink the next day? is there a quicker way, or setting the psi higher to make it drinkable sooner?

You can do it that way, but I've found my beer isn't ready for at least three or four weeks after kegging. Don't be surprised if it tastes a bit green if you drink it that early.

You can do it that way, but I've found my beer isn't ready for at least three or four weeks after kegging. Don't be surprised if it tastes a bit green if you drink it that early.

How long do you ferment for?

Just about everything I keg (with the exception of Stout's) goes in the fridge at 38 degrees under 10psi -- always perfect carbonation after a week. I've tried dialing the pressure up real high for a few days, but always end up with an improper amount of dissolved cO2 in solution -- it's best to be patient, plus you can dispense your beer (once carbonated) at the same pressure you carbonate it. Just another reason I stick with the "set it and forget it" approach.

Just my .02.

:mug:

I set it at 30 psi, helps seal the lid and gets it carbed in about 3 days. Then i turn it down to 10 and bleed off the excess pressure. I primary 4 weeks then keg.

Back