1st time brewing today. Have a few questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgreene

Reaction score
Did my very first brew day today. It was a mosaic IPA all grain. Everything went really good until it was time to chill the wort down. It took me about an hour to get it to 85 degrees and I couldn't get it any lower. Poor planning on my part as far as ice goes. I know how to fix that in the future. I pitched my safale 05 @ about 83 degrees and now it's in the Coolbrew bag with ice bottles. My question is... Was my pitching temp too high? Will this effect anything?? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Should be OK. When I was using only ice it took me about an hour to get it down to that area and all was fine.

Its a bit on the high side but won't kill the yeast. I sometimes pitch high then let the fermentor cool down in an ice bath. I think if you can get it down to proper fermentation temps (mid 60s for an IPA) within a few hours you are fine.

Don't know if you're using a chiller or what. For the longest time, I'd chill wort in a utility sink. Then I switched to using a bathtub full of water, and I'd have Tupperware containers of ice that I had prepared. Now I use an immersion chiller, but the main benefit is not having to carry hot wort to a bathtub. Some people don't even bother chilling their wort, and just wait it out overnight. With US-05, you'll have no problem whatsoever at 85 degrees because it will probably cool down to whatever room temp you have in due time. US-05 is my go to, and will eat up whatever fairly quickly. If anything, it might go too fast since it started warm, so check to see if you need a blow off tube in 1-2 days (like if you see white stuff foaming up in your airlock).

You'll be fine. The data sheet for US-05 yeast says to pitch at 80 plus or minus 6 to allow proper re-hydration as you cool to fermentation temp. So you are right within recommendations.

If you are using an ice bath, there are two ways to maximize your ice "value".

1. Use running tap water in your sink -- only really works if you've got a double sink or overflow -- but the idea is to run cold water to get the temps down to around 100F. Then add the ice to get you further. That way the latent heat of fusion can take you down to fermentation temps.

2. Keep the ice as cold as possible prior to use (a deep freezer is usually much colder than the small freezer attached to the kitchen fridge). Then use salt to lower the liquid temperature in the ice bath by lowering the freezing point of the ice-water.

If you have a five gallon setup, that sounds like a reasonable cooling time. I brew two gallons and chill my wort with ice. It take a half hour or 45 minutes to get it down to pitching temp. As mentioned the temp should be around 80 so you are just fine at 83. One thing I do to save ice is to bring down the temp with cold tap water and then chill with ice at the end. Another thing to cool quickly is to make sure your ice bath water level is at least slightly above the wort level in your pot otherwise the wort stratisfies in temp and tKes forever to cool.

Due to ground wster temps i have the same problem in the summer once its about thst cold, i rack to a steralized bucket and let it cool the rest the way over night i then oxigante and pitch in the morning.

You'll be fine. I've always re hydrated dry yeast at 95-105 and pitch once it's below 70. Just keep it in the mid 60's while fermenting.

Did my very first brew day today. It was a mosaic IPA all grain. Everything went really good until it was time to chill the wort down. It took me about an hour to get it to 85 degrees and I couldn't get it any lower. Poor planning on my part as far as ice goes. I know how to fix that in the future. I pitched my safale 05 @ about 83 degrees and now it's in the Coolbrew bag with ice bottles. My question is... Was my pitching temp too high? Will this effect anything?? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Yes your pitching temp was too high. It probably won't affect your beer much but it would be better to pitch at the proper temperature range. Since you have a Coolbrew bag, use that to get the wort to the desired temp and then pitch the yeast. It won't hurt to wait that little bit longer to do the pitching. I've done several no-chill batches and pitch when the wort temp gets to 62F. I've had to wait as much as 36 hours but the beer turned out just fine.

What I find in the data sheet is rehydration temperature of 77 - 84, but I don't see a recommendation for pitching temperature. I pitch at my target fermentation temp - around 66. Am I missing something?

What I find in the data sheet is rehydration temperature of 77 - 84, but I don't see a recommendation for pitching temperature. I pitch at my target fermentation temp - around 66. Am I missing something?

That's what I meant - no specifics on pitching temp anymore. I'll stick with the old approach (80 +/- 6) since it has worked fine in the past.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm holding my fermentation temp steady around 63-65 degrees with the Coolbrew bag and ice bottles. It's coming up on the 24 hour mark and still no action in the fermenter or in the Airlock. Hope all is well.....[emoji52]

Most of my brews during my first year were never under 83°F. I never had a problem.
There may have been some mild off Flavors due to this but I could never tell.

Don't worry and have a homebrew.

Latest posts

Back