1st Partial Mash on stove top. Recipe questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRapp

Reaction score
Hello!

This weekend I want to do my 1st partial as a hoppy APA, I have a 5 gallon kettle and a 3 gallon kettle, will be doing it on my stove top. Read the awesome sticky on BIAB which is how I will be doing it, but I still have some questions about the recipe. I am using free trial of brewsmith and not sure If I entered it all in correctly as I am confused about my mash amounts efficiency and all that jazz.
(I normally do 4 gallon or 3 gallon boils and top off)

Anyway here is recipe

5.2lb Maris Otter
8 oz Caramal 20L
4lb golden LME

.3oz Citra 30 min
.7oz Citra 15 min
.5oz Santiam 15 min
1oz Amarillo 5min
.5oz Citra 1 min
.5oz Santiam 1 min
.5oz Citra Flame out
.5oz Amarillo Flame out

Dry hop for 5ish days, havent figure out what ones yet. might be im over doing on the citra.....

WLP001

Comes out to(theoretically)
1.056 OG
5.7% abv
41.9 Ibu
7.4 Srm

Anyway, as Ive never used grains other the specialty so I went with maris otter only because Ive read it gives a little more complexity than the 2 row, and with that much hop happenings I want some minor malty balance, but would a slight nutty seem a little funky with this hop bill? Should I use another approach at giving some malt complexity? Maybe a little wheat or biscuit or something? Any ideas?

Also! Ive never used santiam, but really want to cause I have it in my back yard growing. Anyway, any idea how it would work with the other 2 hops? Some say it has noblish characteristics though with some citrus tones, I just dont want it to clash with the others or be completely drowned out by the taste of the others. I added it to smooth out the sharpness of the other 2....or so I told myself.

Thoughts please?

I used Citra in an IIPA I did and it's pretty potent stuff. With the amount you are using you may want to save the homegrown hops for another brew since Citra (at least in my experience) is a brute, but perfect for the style you're going for.

your last 4 hop additions would be for aroma. I'd save them for the dry hop after FG is reached & the beer has settled out clear or slightly misty. You'll get more aroma that way.

Thanks for the response

I wont be using my homegrown santiam for this, but I have it growing on a whim and Ive never used it, so thought Id try to use it a few times, see if i cant get to know it a little.

Also rgr that, i can move those last additions back to dry and just dry hop 1oz citra, .5 amarillo and .5 santiam, maybe upping the amarillo and santiam to a full oz each.

I've gotten good aroma from .5-.8oz of each flavor hop as a dry hop. It usually depends on how much I used for the flavor additions as to how much of them is left for the dry hop. BS2 I think goes a little on the high side with IBU numbers.

Latest posts

Back