1st partial mash brew under my belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evaug004

Reaction score
I completed my first partial mash today. I call it the ER special.
6.6 lbs pilsner light malt extract
1lb crystal malt 40l
Centennial 2oz @60
Amarillo 1oz @ 10
Irish moss 1tsp @ 30
Liquids yeast English ale wlp002

Steeped malt at 150 for 30 min. Added water and bright to boil added extract and ingredients at noted times. Finished boil and added chiller and brought down below 75 degress in 20 min. OG was taken at 1.050 before pitching yeast and caping off. Now I wait. Pretty stoked ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388894780.155507.jpg

With the name I was waiting to hear about a brewing injury ;)
Just FYI about the terminology, crystal malt doesn't have any diastatic power so that is an extract recipe with steeping grains. For a mash you need a base malt with enzyme activity.

Looks good! What size fermenter is that? Just wondering what your batch size is, did you top off or a full boil?

Was a about a six gallon boil but after completing was right over 5 gallons

I have a six gallon kettle. It has hash marks on the side. It def is 5 gallons

The kit ivory came with two carboys one bigger than the other and the small one was 5 I believe that is the bigger one but not sure on the volume of it

That is a six gallon plastic Bubbler.

Agreed, I see that now in the pic - they come in 5 and 6 gallons. At any rate, if you have a 6 gallon kettle you couldn't have started with a 6 gallon boil. My guess is you did a 5 gallon boil and have about 4 gallons in the fermenter.

I laud and celebrate your achievement. However, your recipe is not technically a partial mash recipe. Your recipe is what is known as an extract plus specialty malts recipe. A partial mash recipe derives a portion of the extract from a base malt.

Yes so I have heard and been corrected multiple times. Either way it's BEER and shall be consjmed

Back