1st Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upperNY01brewer

Reaction score
This is my firdt time kegging and I want it ready for a party this coming friday. Im going to add the co2 today do I have a chance that it will be ready for consumption ?

Sure it'll be ready.
Lots of different was to do it, I'm sure you will get lots of suggestions.
I purge the o2 out of the head space using the gas in fitting on the keg. Then I swap putting the gas line on the liquid out fitting of the keg. I dial up my regulator psi to about 25 or 30 psi. I shake the keg for a count of 100, set the keg with the gas still connected at 30 psi in my fridge. Shake it a couple times (just to get the gas flowing into the keg) during the day and let it set over night.
In the a.m. I usually turn the psi down to serving psi and let it set for a couple day. By that time it's usually carbed pretty good
Works for me

If you shake the keg, then you run a greater risk of over-carbonating. I would set it @ 30psi for 2 days, then turn it down to 12-14psi. This should get it ready by Friday.

BTW, make sure the beer is cold for best results.

If you shake the keg, then you run a greater risk of over-carbonating. I would set it @ 30psi for 2 days, then turn it down to 12-14psi. This should get it ready by Friday.

Should the o2 be purged from the head space first ?

Agree and yes, purge the O2 as soon as you seal up the keg.

Somewhere after 30 hours, start taste testing every couple of hours to avoid overcarbing the beer.

with the corny lid on and tight--hook up the gas line, open the co2 tank valve, crank the regulator to 20ish, let the pressure stabilize for few seconds, pull the relieve valve on the lid for a few seconds--repeat a couple times.

My lid doesnt have a relief valve with a ring to pullup, rather anipple like round protrusion with 4 holes in it.

My lid doesnt have a relief valve with a ring to pullup, rather anipple like round protrusion with 4 holes in it.

In that case (pin lock keg, or a converted pin lock keg) you purge the head space by pressing down on the poppet valve in the middle of the IN post (ie: the GAS post). Hopefully you didn't fill the keg above the level of the In dip tube ;)

Obviously you can't do that with the Gas QD still connected - but I don't purge my (ball lock) kegs with the gas still turned on anyway. So push some gas into the keg, remove the Gas QD, and press down on the In poppet. Repeat three times and the head space should be all (or very nearly all) CO2...

Cheers!

You must have a pin-lock keg, or converted ball-lock. You can instead hook the gas up, pump it with 20psi, disconnect the gas fitting, depress the pin in the center of the post to release pressure--hook gas back up and repeat a couple times...make sure NOT to depress the pin on the liquid post, beer will shoot out.

Back