1st GF Brew Day: Review My Process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend has recently been told by her doctor that she likely has Celiac, so I'm going to be trying out gluten-free brewing for her, and had a couple of questions for GF brewing vets:

1.) I understand that good cleaning and sani will let me use the same cold-side gear between GF and non-GF gear. Do I need to do anything special to clean my mill, other than standard cleaning?

2.) For the mash, I'm planning on a two-step mash, similar to what Chris suggests here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8014376&postcount=12. Gelatizine at 75C (millet, rice, buckwheat) for 30 minutes or so, then reduce to 60C and add WLN4100, Ultra-Ferm. Let it go, recirculating with a pump, until I hit about 1.060 or so.

3.) The recipe is going to be a coffee porter, using D90 and D180 for color and some sweetness/fruitiness, per the No Nonsense GF Stout iglashion posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=323755. Will add in some maltodextrin, but suggestions for other ways to get some crystal malt/sweetness and maintain body? I won't have time to make my own crystal millet or rice, or get any ordered in.

It would be dificult to clean your mill well enough to make it safe to make beer for a celiac. Celiacs react to PPM levels of gluten contamination. The rest of your equipment can probably be cleaned well enough.

Your mash plan looks great.

I avoide using more than 1 lb of candi syrup, especially if it is D90 or higher. The darker syrups give a wierd flavor when used heavily. You need dark rice or gas hog rice malt to make a solid dark beer. Light colored GF beer styles are easer to do well, darker styles are more challenging.

Thanks for the feedback. After conversing with White Labs, it looks like it'll be prohibitively expensive to order the WLN4100. An enzyme question for the confused: can I use standard powdered amylase enzyme after gelatinization, or is there something particular about the exo-alpha-amylase in AMG-300L that makes it work for converting unmalted grains? I have a ton of powdered amylase enzyme.

Was trying to get away without an order from glutenfreehomebrewing.org, but looks like that's necessary. Will grab some CaraMillet and Gas Hog. She's a huge fan of Left Hand Nitro Porter, so getting her a coffee stout/porter is high on the list. With the color from the dark rice and some sweetness from the CaraMillet, I'll save my candi syrup for a Belgian Dark Strong.

I'll snag a corona mill. It's $20 to not defeat the purpose.

Back