1st GF Brew Day: Review My Process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdw2pd

Reaction score
Hi all,

My girlfriend has recently been told by her doctor that she likely has Celiac, so I'm going to be trying out gluten-free brewing for her, and had a couple of questions for GF brewing vets:

1.) I understand that good cleaning and sani will let me use the same cold-side gear between GF and non-GF gear. Do I need to do anything special to clean my mill, other than standard cleaning?

2.) For the mash, I'm planning on a two-step mash, similar to what Chris suggests here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8014376&postcount=12. Gelatizine at 75C (millet, rice, buckwheat) for 30 minutes or so, then reduce to 60C and add WLN4100, Ultra-Ferm. Let it, recirculating with a pump, until I hit about 1.060 or so.

3.) The recipe is going to be a coffee porter, using D90 and D180 for color and some sweetness/fruitiness, per the No Nonsense GF Stout iglashion posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=323755. Will add in some maltodextrin, but suggestions for other ways to get some crystal malt/sweetness and maintain body? I won't have time to make my own crystal millet or rice, or get any ordered in.

I am fermenting a hard cider right now. I recently learned that cider is GF. There are a lot of different things you can do with cider too, like add fruit or honey. You can hop your cider. I like brewing beer more, but this has been a fun adventure and since you need to go GF you might want to give it a whirl. I am not a big fan of commercial cider, but I've heard that beer lovers enjoy a nice bone dry hard cider. We'll see I guess.

I am fermenting a hard cider right now. I recently learned that cider is GF. There are a lot of different things you can do with cider too, like add fruit or honey. You can hop your cider. I like brewing beer more, but this has been a fun adventure and since you need to go GF you might want to give it a whirl. I am not a big fan of commercial cider, but I've heard that beer lovers enjoy a nice bone dry hard cider. We'll see I guess.

I'm a beer lover/recent celiac and I will second this. I never gave ciders a chance, but I've been shocked with how good some of them are. There are plenty of decent shelfies, but also some amazing craft cider makers. Recently, I discovered Graft Cider. They are making wildly fermented ciders, which gives me my lacto/Brett fix.

Good luck with your brew. I'm sure it will be appreciated.

If your girl is celiac you do no want to use the same equipment as you use for your beer. No matter how well you clean your gear especially your mill you will never get all if the gluten out if it. There will be cross contamination. Introducing gluten into a celiacs diet at any level is poison. Gluten induced into a celiacs diet destroys the body at the cellular level.

I've been celiac for over 30 years now however I did not follow a celiacs diet for almost 20 years and now I have Addison's disease. Don't do it trust me it's not worth a few bucks in equipment costs. Buy new and your brewing gear is for your beer and her brewing gear is for her beer.

Back in the day gluten free food was is its infancy and was terrible. Options today are much better, same with homebrew but zero tolerance is zero tolerance.

What the government finds as acceptable tolerances and what reality is are two different things, people buy these numbers. Don't fall into an acceptable level of gluten bull**** number someone paid for.

I'm a no-nonsense type if person but when it comes to what I put in my body I'm very serious.

If your girls doctor did the finger prick test to determine if she is celiac that's only an indicator. This is a very serious disease that can lead to horrible other health problems, she needs to know for sure. If her doctor doesn't order a biopsy of her intestine, find a doctor that will. This is the only definitive way to diagnose celiacs disease, the finger prick is only an indicator.

I don't allow other people to prepare anything I consume anymore. Haven't been out to dinner in over 6 years because the last time I went out for a "gluten free" fish fry I was given a gluten fish fry intentionally. I now grow all my own food and prepare everything.

If you don't want to invest in new gear for gluten free brewing you will need to at least invest in a new brew kettle. There are other option to grain brewing as well. I only brew sorghum based beers and I've found a way to make awesome beer. Check out my other posts or hit me up.

Best of luck to you and your girl,
Labatts

Latest posts

Back