1st ever kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Ok I've been doing canned 'kit and kilo' kits for the past 4 years but my brew store has some new boxed extract kits. It came with 6lbs of malt extract 1lbs of liquid glucose - boiling hops, finishing hops, bag of specialty grain, grain bag ohhh and yeast.

I only have an 8 quart pot (8 liters) will i still be able to make the beer??? I was planning on adding 3LBS of malt and boil in the boiling hops then in the last 10 mins add the last 3 lbs of malt and the finishing hops.

then into the fermentor and top up to 5 gallons - this sound like an ok method?? It didnt come with instructions so Im not sure??

Ok I've been doing canned 'kit and kilo' kits for the past 4 years but my brew store has some new boxed extract kits. It came with 6lbs of malt extract 1lbs of liquid glucose - boiling hops, finishing hops, bag of specialty grain, grain bag ohhh and yeast.

I only have an 8 quart pot (8 liters) will i still be able to make the beer??? I was planning on adding 3LBS of malt and boil in the boiling hops then in the last 10 mins add the last 3 lbs of malt and the finishing hops.

then into the fermentor and top up to 5 gallons - this sound like an ok method?? It didnt come with instructions so Im not sure??

Yes, that will work just fine. Ideally, you'd have a bigger pot but if that's all you have, that will have to do. I'd use less extract at the beginning, as it may darken quite a bit on you in a limited amount of water, and add more at the end of the boil. I'd probably do 1 pound extract at the beginning and the rest near flame out. Use as much water as you can in the boil, without boiling over!

Honestly, a 2 gallon pot is uber small and you will be using more top up water than you boiled. Any possibility you can even at least order a 5 gallon economy pot before you do this? Northernbrewer sells one for $37.99:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...conomy-kettles/5-gallon-stainless-kettle.html

and Midwestsupplies has a Polarware one for even cheaper at $28.99:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/polarware-economy-stainless-steel-brewing-pot-5-gallon.html

You'd be better off at least getting one of these so you can at least boil 3-4 gallons and top off less.

Rev.

I went to Giant Eagle one time & they had a set of nested SS stock pots with steamer trays on sale for some $25. I took the 20qt (5G) one,& gave momma the other 3. I can boil 2.5-3 gallons with room for the hot break foam. I'd suggest at least getting the 20qt ss steal stock pot with a good lid somewhere. You'll need the room.even with extracts & steeping grains.
I use twist ties to lash my floating thermometer to the pot. But a ss clip on gauge type would be better,imo.

+1 to the above - get a bigger pot. Without it, you'll be very prone to boilover problems.

Ok well not in the Market for new pots at this time so im going to give Yoppers suggestion I try. I will let you know how it turns out in a month or so. Thanks for the tip!

Back