1st brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg954

Reaction score
Ok, so i have my first 'brew' going on right now. I started out simple with the Apfelwein recipe, and it smells delicious so far. it's been bubbling moderately strong for 3 days now. after this is complete I want to actually boil a wort and all that. i want to re-create magic hat #9, but i need your help. below are the directions, can anyone dumb these down for me? write it in sentance form. I'm a beginner. anything will help.

Magic Hat #9 Clone
OG: 1.051 IBU 25
FG: 1.011 SRM 13 5.1% Alc/Volume

Crushed Grain:
1/2# 60oL crystal Malt - Steep for 20M @155o

Extract:
5.5# M&F light DME
.5# M&F wheat DME

Hop Schedule:
1.5oz Tettnanger 60m
1/4oz Willamette 15m
1/4oz Cascade 15m
1tsp Irish Moss 15m

Yeast:
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Add to secondary:
3oz Apricot beer flavoring

Priming:
1 and 1/4 cup M&F extra-light DME

Fill your pot with 2 gallons of water, and bring to 155. Steep crystal malt for 20 min. Sparge grains by putting them in a strainer and pouring warm water over the top. Add extract and bring to boil. Be careful of boil over early in the boil. Add Tettnanger at beginning of boil. Add remaining hops and Irish moss with 15 min. remaining in boil. Cool wort in ice bath and use cold water to top off carboy to 5 gallons, then pitch yeast around 70 degrees. Allow about 1 week for fermentation (check gravity) and add flavoring when racking to secondary.

sounds good, i'll give it a shot. thank you.

Sure. BTW, one thing I like to do is a late extract addition to avoid carmelization. You can add around half of your extract at 15 min. when you do your hop addition to lighten the beer if desirable, just avoid scorching it. Also, 3/4 cup corn sugar works great for priming as well. Either way, I'm sure your brew will rock.

cheers :mug:

thanks for the tips. i'll let you know how it turns out.

Back