International Pale Lager College Coda Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HutBrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega Lutra Kevik (in 1st fermenter) & WLP810 San Francisco (in 2nd fermenter)
Yeast Starter
None
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nada
Batch Size (Gallons)
11gal as 2, 5.5 split batches
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.009 (Lutra) 1.006 (San Fran)
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~20
Color
Straw
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3-5weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Brewed to celebrate finally finishing my college career after 10years. I was going for a Czech Premium style, but not sure if I hit the mark.

Brewed Oct 24th 2021

Malt:

Pilsen 17lbs
Victory 1lb
Corn sugar 1lb

Hops:

Galena
2oz 60m
1oz 20m

Czech Saaz
1oz 20m
1.5oz 7m
1.5oz 0m

Other:
4 handfuls of rice hulls
Whirlfloc at 15m

Yeast(s)
Omega Lutra Kevik, 1 package in 1st bucket
WLP810 San Francisco Lager in 2nd bucket

Mashed below target at 147*F for 90m (took a while to convert)

Sparged at 170*F for 90m (stuck mash for 45m)

Collected 11gal from sparge, diluted with 2 gallons tap water and brought to boil
Hops added
Chilled to 80*F put in 1st bucket with Lutra
Chilled remainder to 70*F, put in second bucket with WLP810

Fermented Lutra in primary for 3 weeks at 65*F, cold crashed and kegged @ 15psi, 37*F

Fermented WLP810 in primary for 5 weeks at 60*F-65*F NO cold crash, into keg and force carbonated @15psi, 37*F

Served at 8psi on 6ft of line

I’ve only tasted the Lutra so far, but damn is it good. Much more bitterness than expected, but not unpleasant. It definitely has a lager-like crispness to it, but not the traditional lager “bite” as I like to describe it. Definitively a tasty beverage to enjoy, but not what I would describe as “light and crushable”.

95E7F5F9-4AF1-4E52-A710-F3F7ACCEC49B.jpeg

Just tapped the WLP810 version, still notable hop flavor, (not IPA like, but more bitterness than a standard BMC)

Has what I note as Lager-ish “sweetness” to it, not cloying though, similar to any perceived sweetness in a mass produced lager.

Perhaps i’m tasting some yeast that has settled at the bottom of the keg. There are a few yeasty floaters in the glass.

Rather creamy like mouthfeel, dont know if it is the carbonation (2 weeks at 13psi, scaled back to 10psi for serving). Quite effervescent, sustaining bubbles throughout the time consuming. Beer is slightly more cloudy than it’s kveik cousin. This version was not cold crashed as the Lutra had been, before kegging.

I think I preferred the Lutra Kveik, after this initial pour, hopefully I will post updates on how this keg develops.
I will note the keg was not purged with co2 upon filling.

image.jpg

Btw 3 dawg night, I had to look up your reference to discover it was from Tommy Boy- that film was slightly before my time… i’ve only caught moments of the movie when its been on cable

Back