1st brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simo

Reaction score
G'day, This is my first brew but isn't looking like the so called friendly video it came with, any help would be appreciated
Its a coopers larger, day 5

Attachments

• 20190103_163259.jpg
    20190103_163259.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
I agree that the beer doesn’t look right. The real test is does it smell and taste good. If it does then bottle ‘er up and drink it fast. If it tastes bad then dump it and try again.

Ignore your beer for another 2 weeks and then take another picture for us. At day 5 the yeast are still active and the excess CO2 is keeping the beer stirred up. I see a lot of trub at the surface and some white yeast rafts. Nothing there says infection to me.

G'day, This is my first brew but isn't looking like the so called friendly video it came with, any help would be appreciated
Its a coopers larger, day 5
Just give it more time in the primary and don't worry! Congrats on your first brew

I guess that could be yeast rafts I'm seeing. Although at first glance it strongly resembles the beginning of a pellicle. (5 days is a bit soon for that) If it begins to look like the picture I've attached, congratulations! You've brewed your first farmhouse PA. Most brewers wait till they have a bit more experience to tackle a sour. But kidding aside, if it gets worse, (like my pic)it's infected. LAB, more than likely. You're two choices will be to toss everything, or let it ride a couple months and maybe enjoy a sour.

20170406_173721.jpg

Give it a chance to clear but I don't think it will. Looks like the start of some funk.

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who replied, very thankful for the guidance. It was in fact an infection and got worse in the matter of hours, so made the dession to dump and try again. The coopers home brew kit my daughter got me for Christmas was from Gumtree, unsure how it was stored by previous owner, but noticed the yeast was a little dry.
Went to my local home brew shop this week and purchased a Morgan's gold, noticed the yeast seemed a lot fresher and more potent in smell, sanatized everything top to bottom and started again, everything seemed to disolve and mix a lot better, looking really good at the moment, hope this ones a winner
Once again thanks to all for your help

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who replied, very thankful for the guidance. It was in fact an infection and got worse in the matter of hours, so made the dession to dump and try again. The coopers home brew kit my daughter got me for Christmas was from Gumtree, unsure how it was stored by previous owner, but noticed the yeast was a little dry.
Went to my local home brew shop this week and purchased a Morgan's gold, noticed the yeast seemed a lot fresher and more potent in smell, sanatized everything top to bottom and started again, everything seemed to disolve and mix a lot better, looking really good at the moment, hope this ones a winner
Once again thanks to all for your help

Most likely it was something in your process - not the kit itself

However, glad you got your first brew out of the way - its always the hardest

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who replied, very thankful for the guidance. It was in fact an infection and got worse in the matter of hours, so made the dession to dump and try again.

Did you taste the beer before you dumped it? That is the best way to tell if it is infected. Looks are a guide but the infection should not have make a big change in just a few hours. Think days instead.

No not days, hours. Got worse from 845am when took picture for home brew shop to when he arrived after he shut at 1pm, was at my place by 120pm, so under 5 hours, not days. Owner of shop also thought he was looking at a different brew, extreme infection.

Back