1st blueberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countryboy73

Reaction score
I was thinking about juicing the berries with my jack lalane juicer and using just the juice. By doing that do I need to use acid blend and tannin?

I think Blueberry wine is better with acid blend and I use 1.5 tsp per gallon of wine. I also like to add tannin however I use 8oz frozen grape juice concentrate per gallon - red if I can find it. I add water and sugar too, so this may not be applicable if you're doing straight juice.

Citric acid is the key to perking up blueberry wine. Acid blend will work as Shelly describes but I like to add .5 - 1 lemons worth of juice per gallon.

I can not say about the tannin addition since only have used frozen/thawed berries. But taking the pulp from your juicer and adding it to a mesh back, adding tannin additives in a small additions to taste, adding raisins or even adding black Tea are all good ways to add back tannin lost from not using the skins but it is all up to interpretation and personal choice.

I make my blueberry wine the old fashion way,One half gallon of blueberries for one gallon of wine and one can of frozen grape consentrate ,ferment this for 5 days ,strain it off and squeeze out the juice,then desolve two and one half pounds of sugar,and add some yeast.Put airlock on jug and let set for 1 year and it will be excellent.Do not add any other stuff in it.

Thanks for the info. After 2 1 gallon ice cream buckets of berries I have 1/2 gallon of juice and a butter bowl of pulp. I'm going to put the pulp in with the juice.

1405995951206.jpg

Back