1st BJCP competition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn_bird

Reaction score
So, I have a strong saison that I'm entering in a competition under the 2008 guidelines...because of the abv I am required to enter it as a strong saison in the belgian specialty category. My question is that because you are required to explain your beer a bit in this category, is it within competition regulations to list the ABV in one's short description along with any special processes or ingredients?

I recently entered a beer exactly like this in a competition using the 2008 guidelines. I simply put "Imperial Saison" as the description. The judges said nothing about a lack of provided information.

FWIW, the beer got a 41, but did not place in the category :(

Yeah you shouldn't need to list it. I don't think the judges would pay much attention to it *unless* there appears to be a flaw with the alcohol character. If its really hot and rubbing alcohol-ish, and lets say its a rather low abv strong saison, they might hit you harder on your score since that would indicate fermentation issues. If the alcohol character is really smooth and "hidden", aka they cant tell its a high alcohol beer, listing the ABV might be a good idea (I have a 11% imperial dark saison that does not at all taste like its 11%). Then the judges taste it and think "wow, they did the fermentation perfect you cannot tell at all its a super high abv beer".

The best option is to just not list it. Its listed as strong saison so the judges will already have a good idea what the range should be.

Awesome...thanks so much guys
Congrats on the 41...I'm surprised it didn't place. Competition must have been tough! Thanks for your help.

Does the beer drink strong? Can you tell it's "Imperial"? If not, why not enter it in the 16C category and go on down the road. However if it drinks strong, go with the 16E.

You could also enter it in both 16C and 16E and compare the judging scoresheets.

Or there is this. Just saying don't limit yourself based on your numbers. I entered a Saison in 16C that was technically too high abv for style. Gold medal. I left it there because it was not obviously a strong Saison. If you enter in 16E, be damned sure it's noticeable as a Strong Saison.

Or there is this. Just saying don't limit yourself based on your numbers. I entered a Saison in 16C that was technically too high abv for style. Gold medal. I left it there because it was not obviously a strong Saison. If you enter in 16E, be damned sure it's noticeable as a Strong Saison.

Schemy is right, as a judge we don't really know what your ABV is and most judges like bigger beers. In a tie, the big beer usually wins unless it's just way out of range.

Also, the more information you give us about ingredients, ABV, etc., just gives us more things to find wrong if we can't taste them. For instance, if you enter a mead that says it was made with a specific variety of honey, it better taste like that variety. It could be the best mead in the world but you'll lose points if we can't taste the flavor you said should be there. It's usually best to just be silent on the details.

I guess I never thought to do that...I WOULD like to get as much feedback as possible from the judges so maybe enetting it in bother isn't a bad idea. It is a bit young still in the bottle at the moment (2.5 weeks). The alcohol is there but not overly harsh...I've noticed on some of my other beers that some of that tends to fade at around 5 weeks which is when the competition is. I wish I had the time to really let it mature and then evaluate it but I won't have that option. It also seems a tad yeasty on the finish at this point. I'm really hoping some of that will fade as well. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

I guess I never thought to do that...I WOULD like to get as much feedback as possible from the judges so maybe enetting it in bother isn't a bad idea. It is a bit young still in the bottle at the moment (2.5 weeks). The alcohol is there but not overly harsh...I've noticed on some of my other beers that some of that tends to fade at around 5 weeks which is when the competition is. I wish I had the time to really let it mature and then evaluate it but I won't have that option. It also seems a tad yeasty on the finish at this point. I'm really hoping some of that will fade as well. Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

What is the ABV by the way?

It is a 7.5% saison...Instead of the traditional noble hops though I used only American hop varieties so I'm thinking I would lose major points if entered in the saison category for it not being in line with the classic style. Is this a safe assumption?

It is a 7.5% saison...Instead of the traditional noble hops though I used only American hop varieties so I'm thinking I would lose major points if entered in the saison category for it not being in line with the classic style. Is this a safe assumption?

What hops and hop schedule did you use?

If it's really terribly obvious it's American varieties then yeah don't put it in saison. But if you didn't go crazy with late additions and dry hop you should still be ok to enter it in saison. 7.5% isn't so crazy high that you'd get knocked for that in the saison category.

Back