1st batch bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrphij

Reaction score
I just tried my first batch (Nut Brown) last night...it was a partial grain/extract kit....Primary for 1 week..secondary for 10 days...bottle for 10 days...it has a strange intial taste and after taste...the intial is best described as a sharp taste...almost "yeasty"...the after taste is quite "hoppy"...much more than I would associate with a Newcastle clone...is there a chance these tastes will mellow with age?...if so would it be best to store at a warmer temp (65-75) or a cooler temp (40-50)?

The tastes will mellow with age. If the beer is carbed to your taste now, then move it to cooler temps, if not, leave it in the warmer temps for a few more days till it is carbed right, then move it to the cooler temps.

I hope that this batch ages well for you, but if not DON'T give up.As you brew more the beer will get better.
Some of my early brews were not very good.

Nut Brown Ale can be an acquired taste. If you are used to store boughts you may have ended up with something that tasted strange. I would recommend brewing standard ales and lagers to begin, then onto the others.

It will mellow out most likely, just be patient. If the taste is really sharp, give it about 2 or 3 months, or even as long as 6 months

Back