1st 10 Gallon Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milhouse

Reaction score
I want to brew a 10 gallon batch on New Years Day. I have a 15 gallon Keggle, a 10 gallon round Mash tun with a S.S. braid and a 5 gallon HLT. I will be using 18 pounds of grain for my brew. I have brewed (2) 5 gallon AG batches with my system before. Is there any thing you would suggest I prepare for considering this is my first time brewing a 10 gallon batch?

Do you have a Chiller? Or is there snow there you're located? Chilling would be my only Concern.
I'll be doing my first 10G batch monday and I have a 12.5G (50Qt) Cooler Mashtun.
Using the calculator here you can determine if you have room depending on your mash thickness

You should have plenty of space.

My 20lb Grain bill will be using 7.85 Gallons of space.
You're 18lb Bill uses 7.07Gallons of space.

These are assuming a mash thickness of 1.25 Quarts per pound of grain.

I have a small homemade copper imersion chiller, but was considering using a couple of bags of ice as well. Thanks for the calculater, that was a concern of mine as well.

Same here, I only have a 25ft IC :( Next purchase WILL be a CFC. But it will be a while before I have the money for one AND a pump. Don't know how well they work without one recirculating. I assume you'd have to shill to pitching temps in one pass.

*edit*
Been reading Bobby_M's CFC thread. Last night I straightened out my 25'IC and am rebuilding it into a CFC. Just an option if you already have a 25ft IC. There's no way it (25' IC) will chill 10 Gallons quickly enough.

Back