1L yeast starter questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
Ok, I have been researching yeast starters and am thoroughly confused.

I see people say 1L yeast starter, I have also seen directions to boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 DME.

Whats the deal here... which do I do? And if 1L is better, what is the ratio for DME? I know there are articles, but I just want someone to tell me because I keep hearing all sorts of different stories.

...I did the 2 cup water 1/2 cup DME method the other day and the yeast is happily fermenting... but I would consider doing an entire L if its recommended.

Ok, I have been researching yeast starters and am thoroughly confused.

I see people say 1L yeast starter, I have also seen directions to boil 2 cups of water and add 1/2 DME.

Whats the deal here... which do I do? And if 1L is better, what is the ratio for DME? I know there are articles, but I just want someone to tell me because I keep hearing all sorts of different stories.

...I did the 2 cup water 1/2 cup DME method the other day and the yeast is happily fermenting... but I would consider doing an entire L if its recommended.

Go to Mr. Malty and put in the stats for your beer. It will tell you how big of a starter you need. The ratio is 1g:10mL.

And if 1L is better, what is the ratio for DME?

Same ratio. Use the numbers posted above if you have a scale. It's really best if you do. If you don't, though, just use 1 cup DME per quart of water; that's pretty close, and pretty easy to remember. A liter and a quart are more or less the same thing, for small and inexact measurements.

Depends how many cells do you need to ferment the wort.
As said, go to mr.malty an put your numbers, it will calculate cells number and starter size.

Back