1gallin yeast starter - cant tell if spinning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdragon

Reaction score
I just started a 1 gallon yeast starter in a homemade spin plate with my lager slurry collected from a last batch. It's in a 1 gallon glass carboy but I can't tell if the bar is spinning. I managed to feel the fan going but I don't see the tunnel. I know for sure if its not by morning, then ill just do the shake method, but does anyone have pointers how I can tell if the bar is in fact spinning?

Here is a picture

image-1273009172.jpg

Well, then disregard my first suggestion. Okay, if you have a laser pointer pen, shine it on the top surface. The red dot should be stable (minus hand shake) if it is not spinning.

Well I thought it was spinning but I woke up this morning, there was a large puddle on the counter and it looks like there was krausen activity. I'm going to make another yeast starter but in my 6gal as that's the only vessel I have available right now. I will just decant the spent wort and pitch the beer on top of the yeast cake.

If your 1 gallon Carboy has a concave bottom, the bar will probably slide to the edge and not spin. I know both of mine have that, which is why I ended up getting a 2L flask.

Latest posts

Back