1968 harvested from brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Sanchez

Reaction score
A few months ago I got a crowler of 1968 wyeast harvested from Altamont Beer Works in Livermore Ca. It was from their stout and it is a fourth generation. I’ve held onto it for a while, just haven’t had the time to brew. Recently I decided to separate the yeast because there is no way I’ll need to pitch 32 oz of yeast to a 5 gallon batch. I divided the yeast into 4 8 oz mason jars and it still looks like a ton a yeast for 5 gallon batch. I was thinking of separating into 8 4 oz mini mason jars. Then when needed I could just make a starter or just pitch it how it is.

IMG_1537.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think that is all yeast being as there is still stout in there. I would try washing a jar of that to see how much yeast there really is.

I did do a second wash on the yeast.
These are the only size jars I have. I don’t want a huge air gap between the lid and yeast. When I do plan on using this yeast I will decant most of the liquid.

It’s hard to say with the glass design, but it looks like a lot of that is trub, maybe the bottom 15% or so of the light brown region is yeast. I’m also not sure I’d want to use 4th gen yeast from a stout (high ABV). Not worth the time and ingredients to risk it imo.

The brewery said it would be darker due to it being in a stout beer. Very active yeast. There’s no trub. I’m going to go for it and I’ll have feedback hopefully soon.

Its quite old now. Likely 50% viability or so. Will work but not optimum.

Just read that commercial breweries will continue 20+ and even beyond that. Im sure a yeast starter will help but for as thick as it looks I’m pitching it and giving it a whirl. Fresh oxygenated clean wort will make any yeast happy.

Just read that commercial breweries will continue 20+ and even beyond that. Im sure a yeast starter will help but for as thick as it looks I’m pitching it and giving it a whirl. Fresh oxygenated clean wort will make any yeast happy.

Oxygenated wort, bringing yeast back to life since... never!

So the yeast was dead. I’m guessing I waited too long. Ended up using yeast that I propped up from another brewery.

Back