1954 Philco Refrigerator to Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got my hands on a 1954 Philco Refrigerator. I am going to turn it into a kegerator. (pictures will follow). I really like the look of the antique fridge's when converted. I am in the process of sanding it to paint it chalkboard black.

In the next week or so I want to order the hardware. Anyone have a site that is reliable and best priced? There are a lot of places to order from and a lot of different prices.

One last thing..... I am not sure if I want to put 1,2, or 3 taps out the front of the fridge. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I feel that having 3 beers on tap would be a great variety but I think that at some point I would end up losing beer because it will go bad.

Great post on so many angles.

First, I will always recommend kegconnection.com. I've bought all that stuff from them and they always make good on any issue, and there have been few issues. I think there's a Father's day sale on kegs right now :)

Well, I was a 2 tap guy until just recently. I keep 3 kegs in rotation most times and it was enough for my habit, my wife occasionally, and visiting neighbor friends. I also need to dish out some to work friends. I just put a nitro tap in and that makes 3 :) I'm glad I had room for it. ;) In case you like that cask conditioned texture.

IDK your finances but I'd recommend at least a dual body taprite regulator so you can carb 2 kegs at different psi. Also, perlick taps (chrome or SS, although I wish I went SS now), SS shanks and a gas connection wrench. The preassembled fridge kits are perfect for a first time setup.

I have about 12-13 Philco pre-war console radios in the basement and scattered around the house. I used to overhaul them by replacing all the innerds. I think I got a Philco TV in the attic. It was the brand of the common folk.

First, I will always recommend kegconnection.com. I've bought all that stuff from them and they always make good on any issue, and there have been few issues. I think there's a Father's day sale on kegs right now :)

Well, I was a 2 tap guy until just recently. I keep 3 kegs in rotation most times and it was enough for my habit, my wife occasionally, and visiting neighbor friends. I also need to dish out some to work friends. I just put a nitro tap in and that makes 3 :) I'm glad I had room for it. ;) In case you like that cask conditioned texture.

IDK your finances but I'd recommend at least a dual body taprite regulator so you can carb 2 kegs at different psi. Also, perlick taps (chrome or SS, although I wish I went SS now), SS shanks and a gas connection wrench. The preassembled fridge kits are perfect for a first time setup.

I have about 12-13 Philco pre-war console radios in the basement and scattered around the house. I used to overhaul them by replacing all the innerds. I think I got a Philco TV in the attic. It was the brand of the common folk.

Thanks for the tips. I ended up going with a 2 tap system from the site you recommended. I like how you could upgrade individual parts. I went with a dual regulator and upgraded to stainless steel.
Kegerator is painted and waiting for the parts to arrive on Tuesday. More importantly the Bavarian Hefeweisen is about to be racked to the secondary on top of 2 lbs of frozen raspberries and will be in the keg in a week or so!
I am going to leave room for another tap so when it is stout season again I can add a nitro tap.
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the tips. I ended up going with a 2 tap system from the site you recommended. I like how you could upgrade individual parts. I went with a dual regulator and upgraded to stainless steel.
Kegerator is painted and waiting for the parts to arrive on Tuesday. More importantly the Bavarian Hefeweisen is about to be racked to the secondary on top of 2 lbs of frozen raspberries and will be in the keg in a week or so!
I am going to leave room for another tap so when it is stout season again I can add a nitro tap.
Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

I just got my hands on a 1954 Philco Refrigerator. I am going to turn it into a kegerator. (pictures will follow). I really like the look of the antique fridge's when converted. I am in the process of sanding it to paint it chalkboard black.

cool beans! I have to subscribe just to see a piece of history from my birth year made into something new...
Bob
:ban:

Yes, we would love to see a pic of the fridge when set up

I will post a few pics later on of the fridge. I am painting the handle chrome as we speak. Should be done and ready for beer on Wednesday.

Looks Cool. I can see having a pinstriper doing some old school striping on it. Enjoy it.

Very cool. That will make a very nice kegerator. I can't remember if we talked about it but I would consider drilling a hole for gas lines so you can keep the C02 tank outside the fridge. This way you can fit more inside. I didn't do this, but it is a goal this summer.

I'd love a real old fridge or a chest freezer.

Mike that looks great! I am working on refinishing a 1950's Hotpoint refrigerator that was already covered to a single tap kegerator and I had a couple questions about yours. I will be adding a second tap.
Did you change any of the inerds? I'm assuming yours was working fine. Mine is running perfectly so I don't have a need to change anything but I have seen others strip the inside and put in new insulation.

As far as the paint job, did you just sand everything and paint? did you have to apply any bondo to fix dents/dings? Did you use the chalkboard spray paint or roll it on?

I'm deciding between the chalkboard paint like you did and a retro firehouse red with black accents to fit the vintage style.

Any advice is appreciated!
I attached a pic of what I'm working with.

John

4090fbd64f662279cfa6ee2cb796c35d.jpg

I did not change any of the inerds. If I wanted it to be more efficient I may reseal it. I sanded the entire fridge and was fortunate to not have to use bondo. I rolled it on. I like the retro look but went with the chalkboard because it serves a purpose.
Enjoy yours, it is awesome having draft homebrew and is a great conversation starter.

Back