16 Days in, my 1.070 IPA fermented with WY1332....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
..still is at high krausen with visible airlock activity. Man, is this thing ever going to stop? :mad:

Not sure I'm liking this 1332 strain......

You have just fulfilled a little known end time prophecy. It is written, “There will be one jug that will continue to grow and the yeast will escape and eventually consume ALL of the sugars on earth.”

Instead of “The Blob”, we now have “The Trub”.

“Oh, the humanities…”

My recipe calls for mashing at 154, and I believe I hit that number on brew day.

I made a 1.5L starter, and by day 2, it was fermenting so vigorously that I needed a blow off tube. I did lose a lot of yeast from the blow off, as the trub on the bottom of the large mason jar I used as the blow off receptacle was 3" thick.

Bad on me for not taking notes, but I believe I 'cold pitched' this starter. (Can't totally remember). I chill my wort to 65 degrees, and for this batch I think I let the starter go 18 hours, put it in the fridge for a few hours until the yeast crashed out, then decanted and pitched to the wort while the yeast cake was 36 degrees.

The fermentation spent the first week at 65 degrees, and it's gradually been warming, getting to 70 near the end of this week.

I checked the gravity last night, and it was at 1.012, which is over attenuated (83%??) based on where it should have finished at, given a 71% maximum strain attenuation. (at 71%, it should have finished at 1.020).

The beer I made last Saturday, which is sitting right next to this one, was fermented out fully in four days. ;)

71% isn't maximum attenuation. It's the upper end of attenuation when it ferments a standard lab wort. It's only a number to be used to compare yeast strains, not to predict your attenuation. Your recipe and process will be the main factors in your final attenuation.

Back