15 minute boil for extract lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindofBlues71

Reaction score
I listened to several Basic Brewing podcasts about making a 15-minute ale using extract and was wondering if this would work for a lambic as well, since they have barely any IBUs?

For my wild beer I did this. 1 gal batch I threw in a couple of Cascade pellets and boiled for as I remember 25 minutes. I am going to be bottling it probably in the next two weeks to see how it did.

How long has it been in primary? Please post in this thread after you taste it! I'm interested to know how it turned out.

Thanks!

It has been in primary since June 5th 2013 according to the date written on the side of the jug. I really wanted to wait a year but at this point my impatience is getting the best of me. I will post after I taste it once it gets carbed up.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. With extract all you're doing is sterilizing the wort and isomerizing hops so I don't see why this wouldn't work.

For me, I'll put some extra time into wort production. These beers age for so long and you only have one shot at steering the beer down a path and thats on brewday. After that youre at the mercy of the Brett and bacteria.

I've done less than 5 minute boils with no hops to top up a Solera lambic. As Coff mentioned, I am just heat pasteurizing the water and DME. So far this extract sour is by far my best sour... that's mainly due to the bugs and age of the beer.

I'm going to be starting a lambic solera soon using extract and a 15-20 minute boil. I'd agree with Dan in that time, bugs, and keeping oxygen out are more important factors.

Thanks for the advice everyone. On Sunday I'm going to brew 10 gallons, pitching one half with ECY Bugfarm and the other with ECY Bug County. My long term goal is to brew the same recipe each year for blending, and maybe get a solera going.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Home Brew mobile app

Back