15 gallon kettle and electric stove

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
Does anyone use a 15 gallon boil kettle on an electric stove? I want to upgrade my kettles, but my apartment limits me to an electric stovetop. I know propane burners are the ideal way to heat 15 gallon kettles, but I was just curious of the feasibility of a 12 gallon boil on an electric stove top. Thanks.

My electric stove struggles with a 7 gal boil for my 5 gal batches. I had to upgrade to a turkey burner to keep my brew day under 6 hours. I think you should go with propane or an electric heating system.

Is it possible to do an electric setup that plugs into an outlet, or do they need dedicated circuits? I live in an apartment, so I don't know how that would work. I may have to just stick with 5 gallon batches until I can accommodate propane burners.

Aside from being able to heat that amount, can your stove top handle that amount of weight? If it can I think your best bet would be to look into making one or two "heatsticks" if not going full electric all together (which I do not know anything about).

Does anyone use a 15 gallon boil kettle on an electric stove? I want to upgrade my kettles, but my apartment limits me to an electric stovetop. I know propane burners are the ideal way to heat 15 gallon kettles, but I was just curious of the feasibility of a 12 gallon boil on an electric stove top. Thanks.

unlikely, unless you have some really high end electric stove. if you were to go with heatsticks i think those need 220v but i'm not well versed in electric brewing.

I would think not. Even if the stovetop could support that much weight (it probably can't) the heat generated to get to boil would probably start melting the plastic on the wiring and cause a short. I know from experience -- not from a 15 gallon kettle, but from long term use of a 8 gallon kettle on an electric stove.

You might be able to go the heatstick route but you probably don't have the juice at the outlet to get to a boil, either.

Yes, I think a 2000w stick plus the electric stove could boil 12 gal. 2 sticks would easily even without the stove. You need 20 a amp gfi circuit for each 2000w stick, or a 15 amp gfi circuit for a 1500w stick.

Or if you want to get fancy...build an electric kettle that plugs into the outlet that your stove plugs into...likely plenty of power there for 12 gallon boils...you will need a gfi spa panel or replace the breaker w/ a gfi. Several ways to do this...none are simple, but it can be done.

Yes, I think a 2000w stick plus the electric stove could boil 12 gal. 2 sticks would easily even without the stove. You need 20 amp circuits for each 2000w stick, of a 15 a circuit for a 1500w stick.

Make sure your electric wiring can handle that. The house I grew up in would blow a fuse if the microwave and the AC ran at the same time.

If you're afraid of using a propane burner indoors, that's what I do. I clear out my kitchen around the kettle, lay down some cardboard (to protect my linoleum just in case) and fire the thing up. You'll increase the temperature of your apartment a bit but it's worth it. I'm also using a $50 turkey fryer from walmart, included a huge aluminum pot, stand and regulator.

I don't know much about it because I'm still researching myself, but I bet you could do an electric set-up for the cost of the pot +$100 at most if you keep it basic. Maybe as cheap as $50-ish if you keep it really basic. You basically just need the ability to cut a hole in the side of a pot, a water heater element(pretty cheap) to put in that hole, and the ability to figure out some basic electric wiring and wire it up. There's the spa panel route and I think you can do it the cheaper route by wiring in a circuit breaker and a stove dial or something like that. Then you can plug in to the plug your stove uses. Check out the Electric Brewing section of the forum.

Thanks for the tips. There are some really good ideas out there. I may just wait until I am out of this apartment and do a legit upgrade to my setup. I can use propane burners at the complex, but they have to be in the "designated grilling area" so I would have to lug my 12 gallons of wort down a flight of stairs and across the complex. I'm not really interested in that.

but they have to be in the "designated grilling area" so I would have to lug my 12 gallons of wort down a flight of stairs and across the complex. I'm not really interested in that.

Can you just do the entire process down there? maybe start a grill up as well so you are actually using the area for grilling. Then you would only have to carry 10 gallons of wort upstairs

Geohound got it exactly right when he said it was all he could do to boil 7 gal on his electric stove.

You’re talkin’ 48 qt , in a ginormous pot. I doubt if you have enough heat to reach boiling. If you did it would literally take all day.

I use two 12 qt pots. The small burner is 4500w (~15000 BTU) and takes a half hour to heat 8 qt to strike temperature. And then an hour or so to go from mash to boil with 11 qt.

You could use my method in the interim until you get a house. The pots are like $20 each in a dollar store. Or maybe you can get a brew buddy.

It was really just there to see if the burner actually produced any heat underneath it. Turns out the heat shield did it's job very well. I just didn't want the first sign that it was getting hot to be the linoleum getting messed up.

. . . propane burner indoors, that's what I do. I clear out my kitchen around the kettle, lay down some cardboard (to protect my linoleum just in case) and fire the thing up.
It was really just there to see if the burner actually produced any heat underneath it. Turns out the heat shield did it's job very well. I just didn't want the first sign that it was getting hot to be the linoleum getting messed up.
Yeah! Cardbord bursting into flame in you kitchen is so much better. ;)

Sorry. Just wouldn't want anybody to remotely think that this is a good idea.

That would be less than ideal and probably still screw up my floor. But that's also why I don't recommend turning it on and walking away.

I wouldn't use cardboard as a heat barrier, but I have done things that weren't that smart before also. I have brewed with propane in my basement before, 100lb tank and all. My house isn't new, and its paid for so I did it knowing full well the consequences. Its 50 in the basement and its -20 outside. I still need beer. Oh Well..

Would the stove plus one or two heat sticks be able to achieve boil?

maybe, but then you've strayed far away from the land of simple which is where the climate is best for making beer. the heat sticks probably put out more heat than the stove anyway so the heat sticks alone would probably be more efficient.

Would the stove plus one or two heat sticks be able to achieve boil?

Yes, I think a 2000w stick plus the electric stove could boil 12 gal. 2 sticks would easily even without the stove. You need 20 a amp gfi circuit for each 2000w stick, or a 15 amp gfi circuit for a 1500w stick.
yes, one plus stove might be a little slow...two plus stove easily. Two at 2000w each on separate 20 amp gfi circuits will easily boil 12 gallons IME. (without the stove)

12 gallons plus pot is probably over 100lbs. I doubt any stove top is rated for that kinda weight. Glass top would break, coil elements would push down into their hole.
Any way you look at it, a 15 gallon pot on a standard stove can't be a good idea

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450538201.028218.jpg

Yes I agree Belly, electric coil or glass top is likely not wise. I have a mid line GE gas stove with cast iron burner grates similar to a lot of gas stoves.

100 lbs would work IMO, but no more.

Reminds me of a photo years ago, a guy had a keggle on a POS apartment stove supplemented with a heat stick. Now that was over the top IMO.

Back