15 Gallon HLT Custom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morning_Dew

Reaction score
I'm surprised this is so hard to find but here is what I'm looking for. A Stainless Steel 15 Gallon HLT with 4 ports (1/2" NPT is fine) and volume marking (in gallons or quarts) on the inside of the pot.

Port Locations (all welded):
1 - Standard Full Port low on the wall for a ball valve as the outlet and accepts a short stainless steel pickup tube on the inside of the kettle.

2 - Temperature Probe port. Lowish on the wall. Obviously able to hold a dial thermoter or a screw in temperature probe. 1/2 NPT would probably be best.

3 - 2 Full Ports (1 High, 1 Low) to hole a removable Stainless Steel coil so the HLT can be used as a HERMS.

It would be nice if the seller also sold the attachable Stainless Steel HERMS coil and pickup tube as well.

Does it exist or is there any seller that will custom build what I'm looking for?

We know a guy..... ;)

If you have questions shoot us an email [email protected]

Spike Brewing
They'll do all of that except they don't sell HERMS coils

We sell HERMS coils and our special quick connect fittings for the HERMS as well.

Custom_Morning Dew.jpg

I'm surprised this is so hard to find but here is what I'm looking for. A Stainless Steel 15 Gallon HLT with 4 ports (1/2" NPT is fine) and volume marking (in gallons or quarts) on the inside of the pot.

Port Locations (all welded):
1 - Standard Full Port low on the wall for a ball valve as the outlet and accepts a short stainless steel pickup tube on the inside of the kettle.

2 - Temperature Probe port. Lowish on the wall. Obviously able to hold a dial thermoter or a screw in temperature probe. 1/2 NPT would probably be best.

3 - 2 Full Ports (1 High, 1 Low) to hole a removable Stainless Steel coil so the HLT can be used as a HERMS.

It would be nice if the seller also sold the attachable Stainless Steel HERMS coil and pickup tube as well.

Does it exist or is there any seller that will custom build what I'm looking for?

I dont know your situation or how long you've been brewing and with what equipment but I would say 30 minutes with this http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html and some weldless fitting and you could be the best custom fabricator to make what you want... I say this because its pretty much exactly what Ive done with my 16 gallon bayou kettles and Ive added holes and fittings along the way as my system progressed and changed to my liking... actually I did the same thing with my first keggle and kettle before my system grew to the 3 bayou kettles. if I had spent a large amount of money for someone alse to custom fab my kettles it would have honestly likely held me back from upgrading things further and Id still be stuck with what I though I would want before I had the experience I have now to know otherwise so.. Just my two cents. after I had my system for a while and had it setup exactly like I want it then if I felt I wanted to go with something heavier and perhaps more appealing, I would look at the spike kettles...

And I have a question... Why would you have any reason to remove the herms coil from your HLT to use it as a HLT? It will hold and heat maybe 16-20oz more water once you removed the coil but other than that I dont see the point? Am I missing something? Having to reach into the hot sparge water to install the coil and having to have more hardware in the form of ballvalves to close up the holes just seems like more inconvenience? Since it only hold water its not like its easier to clean without the coil or anything?

I had a 20 gallon done by Colorado Brewing Systems. They do custom work and it's a thing of beauty. Had Spike to a 10 gallon for my girlfriend and she won't let me use it it's so nice. Stout Tanks is also a great group of people that do great work.

I dont know your situation or how long you've been brewing and with what equipment but I would say 30 minutes with this http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-punch-kit-10-pc-60575.html and some weldless fitting and you could be the best custom fabricator to make what you want... I say this because its pretty much exactly what Ive done with my 16 gallon bayou kettles and Ive added holes and fittings along the way as my system progressed and changed to my liking... actually I did the same thing with my first keggle and kettle before my system grew to the 3 bayou kettles. if I had spent a large amount of money for someone alse to custom fab my kettles it would have honestly likely held me back from upgrading things further and Id still be stuck with what I though I would want before I had the experience I have now to know otherwise so.. Just my two cents. after I had my system for a while and had it setup exactly like I want it then if I felt I wanted to go with something heavier and perhaps more appealing, I would look at the spike kettles...

And I have a question... Why would you have any reason to remove the herms coil from your HLT to use it as a HLT? It will hold and heat maybe 16-20oz more water once you removed the coil but other than that I dont see the point? Am I missing something? Having to reach into the hot sparge water to install the coil and having to have more hardware in the form of ballvalves to close up the holes just seems like more inconvenience? Since it only hold water its not like its easier to clean without the coil or anything?

Thanks for the reply. I've been brewing for 28 years. My current 15G HLT has 2 full 1/2" NPT ports. 1 outlet and 1 for the temperature guage. I had these ports added by an old neighber years ago who "claimed" he could weld. They were fine for awhile but they are now both rusting around the welded area especially on the inside of the kettle. I have a knockout punch kit but to get around the rust I would still need a new kettle.

I have considered buying a less expensive kettle and knocking out the holes I need but again it seems so difficult to find the parts.

Do you have any links to someone who would sell 1/2" NPT stainless steel full port weldless fittings? And finally, the hardest one. Do you know anyone who sells a 50' Stainless steel coil and the appropriate fitting to securely connect it to the ports.

I don't totally understand the question about "removing" the HERMs coil. Really, I have no reason to remove it but you have to get it in there somehow? Again, I've never seen a 15 G pot with a non-removalbe stainless coil on the inside. If you have an example I'm all ears.

Unless you're inferring that I should just use run the wort through what would essentially look like an immersion chiller and do it that way. But again I don't think I've ever seen a 1/2" stainless steel coil with appropriate porting on each end.

Thanks for the reply. I've been brewing for 28 years. My current 15G HLT has 2 full 1/2" NPT ports. 1 outlet and 1 for the temperature guage. I had these ports added by an old neighber years ago who "claimed" he could weld. They were fine for awhile but they are now both rusting around the welded area especially on the inside of the kettle. I have a knockout punch kit but to get around the rust I would still need a new kettle.

I have considered buying a less expensive kettle and knocking out the holes I need but again it seems so difficult to find the parts.

Do you have any links to someone who would sell 1/2" NPT stainless steel full port weldless fittings? And finally, the hardest one. Do you know anyone who sells a 50' Stainless steel coil and the appropriate fitting to securely connect it to the ports.

I don't totally understand the question about "removing" the HERMs coil. Really, I have no reason to remove it but you have to get it in there somehow? Again, I've never seen a 15 G pot with a non-removalbe stainless coil on the inside. If you have an example I'm all ears.

Unless you're inferring that I should just use run the wort through what would essentially look like an immersion chiller and do it that way. But again I don't think I've ever seen a 1/2" stainless steel coil with appropriate porting on each end.
There are a lot of people who sell weldless fitting kits like brewhardware.com or
bargainfittings.com which is where I got most of my weldless fittings but Ive used both suppliers many times.
This place is one of many who sell the herms coils..
http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/HERMS-10-Coil-with-2-bends-50-x-12-OD-Tubing-304-HERMS_p_30.html

they also have the kit http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Herms-Kit-_p_273.html

Actually I Do think the majority of herms coils are permanently installed. Even the more expensive pre assembled ones like the ones from spike here http://spikebrewing.com/products/custom-kettle-hp have them permanently installed since theres no real practical reason to remove them once installed (again unless it something new I dont know about?) .. mine was permanently installed before I upgraded to a rims.
You can easily still get into the kettle to rinse it out and again it will only have clean water in it so why remove the coil? were talking about a dedicated HLT with a herms. To clean the coil you have to run cleaner through it with a pump, it makes no difference if its in the kettle or not.

Latest posts

Back