12x12x6 BCS-460 Control panel is a tight fit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious, are you using regular RJ cables or do you have the locking barrel connectors such as a NE8MC-1-B that go over a cable? I was thinking these would be good for temp probe connections to the panel...

Curious, are you using regular RJ cables or do you have the locking barrel connectors such as a NE8MC-1-B that go over a cable? I was thinking these would be good for temp probe connections to the panel...

For the BCS I'm using a standard RJ45 cable, for my temp probes I'm using RCA connectors. I like the look of those locking barrel connectors, I was wondering why there was a locking release on the receptacle, now I know its to house a barrel connector.

I think that would be a great Idea to use these for temp probes, would you connect four probes in to one RJ cable with the 5th position being for the ground? that would be cool then you could have a quick way to switch between controlling the brewery and controlling fermentation chambers...

I would probably do pairs of probes per connector...

2 connectors (leaving 4 wires unused each connector) for 4 brew system probes, I find that 4 in one connector gets tangled, 2 is fine..

1 connector for 2 probes and 2 SSR drive outputs in another, which connects to a remote box that has 2 SSR's for 2 fermentation fridges... since this is a long run, I would keep the twisted pairs together...

I ditched the RCA inputs, I did not like that they where grounding the BCS to the AC common ground.

I installed 3 pin XLR. But tested the probes in Ice and they all read 32... Mounted it on the wall.

image-4272260101.jpg

image-3379843544.jpg

It's hot! Finally got a chance to power it up. I'm waiting on my heat exchange coil to get here from more beer. But I'm going to try a wet trial And see how it runs this week.

image-2203587854.jpg

image-2004174346.jpg

My copper heat exchanger finally got here, and I got it all installed it in HLT. once the Baby goes down for his nap I'll leak test it. one more time before firing it up.

IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1206.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

Very nice work! Your Brewery is coming together nicely. I set a realistic date of Father's Day 2012 to have mine done. My wife has agreed to give me our tax return money this year so I can get Two Blichmann Kettles, Two Pumps, and a Blichmann Plate Chiller. In the meantime I will continue with my control panel project. Can't wait to see photos of your first Brew! Merry Christmas to you and your family. Cheers!

I got it from more beer 5/8"OD 25' Convoluted copper coil.Im useing it as a heat exchanger in the HLT, but my CFC is made from the same material, it is very efficient for knocking down temps. this is what they use in their beer sculptures as a HEX. It came coiled up like you see it in the pictures I just had to bend the inlet and outlet.

I think these guys are the ones more beer get it form but I'm not sure.
Double Wall Condenser Coils
But I do know they source it from and out side vender. They told me this was the reason it was taking so long to ship my order.

It's a bit pricy but I could not source it from any one else. My neighbor is running 50' stainless in a similar system to mine so I'm interested to see if there is much of a performance difference in ramping up temps in the mash.

Here is the RIMS Tube that I designed to use with a 10 gallon Blichmann kettle. I plan to use a 240V LWD heater element and power it at 120V, but I'm not sure where to get one. Can anyone suggest a site for me to get a straight shaft ULWD element that will fit into a 16 inch long tube? Thanks.

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Nice! so you are going to hard plumb your brewery? that will be nice. I bought a cheep pipe bender at Harbor freight, and have been having fun bending Stainless dip tubes and the such.

Not sure but I picked up a element that fit my heat exchanger that I built . It look a lot like your. I found that element at home depot . Nice job so far . Watch that sainless it grows on you .

Thanks. Yes, my plan is to have my entire brewery "on wheels" in a compact system that will be hard plumbed and CIP. I'm lucky because I'm not converting and exsisting brewery I am starting from scratch. I'm getting all my ideas from brewers like you and the electric brewery, black squirrel, Bobby M from Jersey, Billy D, etc. Thanks for the tip on the tubing bender from Harbor Freight I will certainly need one. I will try to attach a drawing of my plans.

Thank you, but it's too late to warn me about being careful about the stainless (I'm already hooked) and approaching a $2000.00 system by the time it's done.

Yes, and I have decided to do just a RIMS system that is actually what I call a Hybrid RIMS/BIAB because I do not plan to have a HLT and sparge. I have had very good luck with BIAB beers so the blichmann mash tun with false bottom will hold my grains and the entire water volume needed for the recipe and then after mashing I will open the valve wide and pump into the boil kettle (no sparge).

Thanks for the link to Home Depot. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just ordered two of them for in-store pick up. Thanks again.

No problem, I'm building my electric keggles with these elements. Good luck!

No problem, I'm building my electric keggles with these elements. Good luck!

Good luck with your keggles. Here is the part number for the 1" NPS Stainless Nut from McMaster-Carr that is needed for the Heater Elements if you don't already have them: PART # 4464K586 approximately $6.00 each. :mug:

Looks like we paid about the same price when you factor in the shipping. Thanks for the link. I remember seeing that website awhile ago, but forgot to save it to my favorites (done now). Here is a site that I ordered several items from and they have been awsome! both in quality and shipping: Brewers Hardware, LLC. You probably know about this site, but if you don't you will be like a kid in a candy store browsing their stainless.

For those looking for a cheap wireless bridge, I've got a bunch of Senao NL 2611 CB3 + Deluxes that I'll let go for $10 each + shipping. They are used, but still run like champs. The new firmware is supposed to handle WPA and I'll try to verify (previously they were WEP only). The boards are easy to take out and you could mount them inside your controller box and the antenna on the outside. Hit me off list at [email protected] if you are interested.

Just curious on these...how hot can they actually get? Are they useful for HL as well? MY system is direct fire right now, but am looking to build a more mobile unit. Replacing 2 burners would be nice.

Since my system isn't ready for startup yet, the best answer I can provide is for you to search youtube for "electric brewing systems" videos and you will find that several brewers are using these elements and as you will see in the videos, they get plenty hot enough in a short period of time with 5-10 gallons of wort or hot liquor. I bought two of these elements with full confidence that they will work great in my RIMS tube and Boil Kettle.

So I had a bit of a set back a few weeks back, I was using Solder flux for stainless, when I needed to be using Brazing flux...well I over heated my old HLT and cracked it !:mad: the good thing was I had an extra keg, and the old HLT was a little rigged so Im not too sad about the loss just the loss of time. Last night I did my final leak test an installed the element float switch, and this morning I fired her up. HLT is heating away just fine, Piolt lights light up, wireless needs a little work, but I can connect to the BCS over its own network so that fine. Now Im just heating up some PBW in the HLT to get it nice and clean before brewing.

keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow that worked way better than I thought. Stared at 11am and had wort in the fermentation chamber by 4:30... Pitched at 8:00pm. Can't wait to put the element in my boil kettle. Propane sucks.

Finally got the kettle finished! ready to brew Tuesday. I was going to braze fittings onto my Kettle, but I really like my Vorlof kettle, and think Im going to wait till i learn to TIG weld really well. A shop Makers place just opened up about 2 miles from where I live, and with a $150/month membership few I'll have access to all the welders and CNC laithes and what not.

Any way I went all weldless fittings for my kettle. No leaks, easy!

IMG_1594.jpg

Today was the first all E brew day, here are some pictures. This was the first time using the in-line O2 system. All in all I really impressed with the ease the electric system and how freaking fast those 5500W elements heat.

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

I'll take some pictures when I get home, but basically I duplicated Kal's method, but I did not use a shim, and my silicone O-ring is on the inside of the kettle. I got the 1" locknut from bargain fittings that have a recess cutout on one side where the O-ring sits. Really easy, but I'd like to set up a tri-clamp system in the future.

Doing my third brew today, think I have a much better idea of the system, I was shooting for 1.047 at 70%eff got 1.055 with 86%. So I'll adjust recipies in the future. Got all the volumes on the sight glasses calibrated, and temp probes. Mashed in at 10:45 boiling at 1:10, should be rapped up at 3:00-3:30. Awesome. I love this system.

Thanks to everyone on the e-board again!

How far out from the kettle wall does the float switch protrude?

This is the Float switch i bought, It took about a week to get here.

It is 1-3/4" from the wall to the center, and the float extends 1/4" form the center so 2".

It comes with a thick 3/8" silicon flat washer, so all I did was drill a 3/8" hole and tighten down the locking nut. I have had no problems with leaks on these and I have two of them operating one in the HLT and one in the BK. they interrupt the signal from the BCS to the SSR.

Thanks earthbound, I'm planing on adding a couple things to it in the coming weeks/months.

#1 whirlpool pump and inlet for the kettle, and a SS IC for the kettle. I have this idea to do whirlpool hop additions and use the Immersion chiller to knock down the wort temps in steps during the whirlpool step to better mimic how the big boys do Whirlpool hop additions with separate whirlpool tanks.

#2 replace my hop back with a hop rocket

#3 New stand, or cut my stand down about 2 feet.

#4 replace the HLT with a 20-25 gallon one.

Bsquared -

What's your typical brewday look like? How automated is your system? I have a similar all-electric setup with two pumps, 5500W elements in my HLT and BK, QD hoses, HERMS, and a BCS460 to run everything. Finally figuring out how get my system purring. Just curious how you've integrated your BCS into your brew day.

Nice system! :ban:

Back