1272 or 05 for Chinook IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Next brew will be NB's extract Chinook IPA. I have some harvested WYeast 1272 in the fridge I can use after I make up a starter or I can go with ol' faithful and pitch 05 in there as I usually do for IPA's/pale ales. Which yeast would you suggest and why?

I've used 1272 in hoppy beers and have really liked it. I'd use that just because it's on hand and you won't need to spend $5 or whatever on new yeast.

I use WY1272 for most of my American styles. I find it much more versatile than US05/WL001/WY1056. Fermented on the cool side (64F to 68F it is clean, higher side (69F to 72F) it throws some fruity esters -- light/not overpowering.

Next brew will be NB's extract Chinook IPA. I have some harvested WYeast 1272 in the fridge I can use after I make up a starter or I can go with ol' faithful and pitch 05 in there as I usually do for IPA's/pale ales. Which yeast would you suggest and why?

Split the batch in two, use both, and report back.

I went with 1272 - we'll see how it turns out in early August.

Took a gravity reading today 1 week after brew day - it's down to 1.012. OG was a little low extract kit so maybe I was a little off on my boil off rate and ended with 5.5 gallons). Krausen was still very much visible. I'll give it another week to see if the krausen drops. I am guessing it's pretty much as low as it will go. Piney a decent hoppy bitterness. WE'll see how it progresses.

How did this come out? I'm growing Chinooks and Cascades at my house and I'd really like to do an IPA recipe with them when they're ready. I'm just fermenting my first beer currently. I plan to get another batch or two under my belt before using my fresh hops but wondering how this came out with the yeast you chose.

Will do. Kind of bummed today though - brewed up Dead Ringer extract and added a pound of corn sugar in hopes OG would raise to 1.070 at least. No dice - OG was 1.063. IT was an old kit so maybe the extract lost a bit over time. I yielded 5 gallons on the nose so I wasn't over volume. Oh well - should be good anyway. Added 1.75 oz. of my brother-in-law's home grown cascade leaf hops at flameout for fun.

The taste on bottling day was much improved from one week prior so here's hoping by mid-July it's a solid session IPA.

That's awesome man. Hope it comes out good. Im bottling my grapefruit pulpin IPA in about a week. Looking forward to that.

I'm growing cascades and chinooks and cant wait to use those in a brew as well.

Adding at flame out adds more to aroma, correct?

Yeah, most of what I've read seems to indicate dry hops get you more aroma than flameout/whirlpool, but I kind of switch back and forth on them or just do both (as is the case with the current Dead Ringer that's bubbling away). One thing I've learned is just to experiment and have fun. If you ferment at the right temp with ingredients you like, you'll like the beer.

The Chinook IPA that I made with 1272 turned out pretty darn well. I certainly would not be opposed to using that yeast strain again! :)

That's excellent. Good to hear. Did you make a starter with the 1272?

Another question is what malt extract did you use? I'm curious as to how the color came out on this. My IPA extract kit that I just did came out a lot darker than I thought it would. As I was bottling it, I sampled the remainder of the beer that didn't fill a bottle and I noticed a bit of a malty flavor in the background that I didn't expect either. When you made this, did you add the extract at the beginning of the boil or did you do a late extract addition?

Yes, I made a starter as I always do with harvested yeast (or for liquid yeast for that matter). I just thew all the extract in at the beginning of the boil. I think the color is MAYBE a tad darker than the all-grain version would be, but I don't think it's "too dark" by any means. In all honesty, the LOOK of a beer is way down on my list of things I care about. I'm really all about taste, smell and mouthfeel. Clarity/color are nice, but not as important as the others to me. I don't remember the kind of LME, but you can look at the recipe on the Northern Brewer website.

Back