120V Electric HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionbill

Reaction score
First, let me apologize if this has already been discussed but i couldn't find the exact answer i was looking for. I am setting up a simple HERMS system for AG brewing. I have a keggle converted with 50ft-1/2" SS coil inside for the HLT and a 70QT MaxCold cooler for the MT. My question surrounds maintaining HLT temps. I have no room in my panel for 240v all electric set up right now but eventually i'll go that route. In the meantime, i plan to initially heat the HLT and Sparge water with the propane burner to the required temps, transferring it to the HLT with a March pump that i have. But i need to find a way to maintain the HLT temp. So i'm thinking of going with a 1000-1500W - 120V heating element in the HLT just to maintain the HLT temp. While getting the 120v element and mounting it in the pot is easy enough, i'm not sure what i need to do for the control. I'm guessing a PID and thermocouple of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions and possibly wiring diagrams for such a setup (set it and forget it)??? thanks gang!! I really appreciate the help.

Dion

- ... - So i'm thinking of going with a 1000-1500W - 120V heating element in the HLT just to maintain the HLT temp. While getting the 120v element and mounting it in the pot is easy enough, i'm not sure what i need to do for the control. I'm guessing a PID and thermocouple of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions and possibly wiring diagrams for such a setup (set it and forget it)??? thanks gang!! I really appreciate the help.

As always click on the image to see and save a full scale image that is printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

The Auber Instruments PID, temp probe and SSR are key components - in my opinoin.

A start for you that I hope helps in your plan.

P-J

Thanks guys. PJ, can I use your diagram but replace the 2000W with a 5500W 240v running off 120v (1375w I think)? Great stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Hey PJ, what gauge wiring do you use for this setup? And I'm guessing I can use 120v - 15 amp terminal blocks for the neutral, live, and ground? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back