12 Beers Of Christmas 2016!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a chance to make my beer (Caramel Quadrupel) but had an issue and missed my gravity. The beer tastes good, but it only a 6.5%.

I will be brewing this again so that I hit the numbers and have a beer I am proud to share.

Looking forward to the exchange.

I plan on brewing the Juniper Rye Bock on May 1st. I got it all put into Beer Smith and it looks really good.
We really need to find people to brew the rest of the beers. I know we are trying to keep it to paid long time members and I get that. I have a guy that works in my store that might be interested. If he pays for a membership here and I vouch for him can he brew one?

I have a guy that works in my store that would be happy to brew the Saffron Tripel. He has not been a member here but I would vouch for him. If everyone is uncomfortable with that I can understand and I will tell him to join and try again next year but if that's cool we will only need 3 more brewers. Let me know what you think.

i have a guy that works in my store that would be happy to brew the saffron tripel. He has not been a member here but i would vouch for him. If everyone is uncomfortable with that i can understand and i will tell him to join and try again next year but if that's cool we will only need 3 more brewers. Let me know what you think.

+1

Sorry it took a few days for me to get back on the board...been working like crazy past couple weeks....
I'm OK with it as well as it's coming through an established member. I'll update the list!
If anyone who hasn't already replied to the affirmative has any concerns, speak up now, if you want you can also PM me....

Heating the water for the Juniper Rye Bock. My wife just crushed 1/2 a pound of juniper berries. That is a lot of juniper! :) The garage smells pretty good though.

For the record, 20 pounds of grain is how much fits in my mash tun.

13124490_10154147153826506_2696864469417862141_n.jpg

The Juniper Rye Bock is in the fermenter on its way to 50F. Has a 1.085 OG instead of the 1.084 we were looking for but I think it will be fine. :D
I thought that much juniper was going to be to much but in researching the recipe I saw some talk of it going great with the rye. The wort does taste pretty good. The spiciness of the rye is working. I hope you all like this one.

Awesome! Can't wait, and I love it that your tun was packed to the brim!

Been sourcing out some unsweetened dry fruit for the Fruitcake Old Ale....think I might use a blend of strawberries, sour cherries, cranberries, raspberries, blueberries, and bing cherries that I found on an awesomely named website called Nuts.com!

I can't commit this year, but some of those recipes sound awesome! I may be brewing up some for myself.

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the invite, I can't wait to brew up the Saffron Tripel!

Methinks we've been spammmed....

EDIT: after a second of thinking about it....I guess this must be toschner's friend? I'm truly sorry, but this site has gotten a lot of bot driven spam posts that pick out key words and then leave posts that are semi-relevant at first glance.... Then I suddenly realized what beer was being posted about, looked at the location info, and put 2+2 together!

Welcome to the group jesseny04, and sorry about the knee jerk reaction! I wonder how many new members have gotten reported as spam on their first posts in the past!

Last edited:
I should probably do a test batch of the honey ginger and if all goes well I will do a rebrew in September or so.

Though my first run through did not hit the FG number, the beer does taste awesome.
It has been slow to bottle condition, but I think that works out.

Going to pick up the grain bill and make a new batch next weekend. I'm looking forward to the exchange and getting feedback on my beer.
:mug:

Think I'd like to take a shot at the spiced dunkel Weizenbock if nobody has any objections. Should still have plenty time to get a first edition brewed to ensure I get a decent product for all to sample(and leave enough time for a rebrew if issues arise(which I don't expect) but who ever does.

Think I'd like to take a shot at the spiced dunkel Weizenbock if nobody has any objections. Should still have plenty time to get a first edition brewed to ensure I get a decent product for all to sample(and leave enough time for a rebrew if issues arise(which I don't expect) but who ever does.

Sounds Great! I've updated the list!

Gruit and Crabapple Lambicky are the only ones left, anyone else know any fellow brewers who might be interested? I promise not to report them as spam!

I'll sign up for the gingerbread ale.
cK6pqk

2hx0Xq
g2ppOC

I believe Teromous has that one already. Here is the current list updated and is only 2 left not 3 fixed that for ya lol

Here's the new list:

1) Caramel Quadrupel (binabik)
2) Spiced Cherry Dubbel (mike_23us)
3) Spiced Dunkel Weizenbock (GilSwillBasementBrews)
4) Juniper Rye Bock (tochsner)
5) Fruitcake Old Ale (biochemedic)
6) Saffron Tripel (jesseny04)
7) Christmas Gruit
8) Honey Ginger IPA (treacharoustexan)
9) Crabapple Lambicky Ale
10) Gingerbread Ale (Teromous)
11) Spiced Bourbon Stout (Auger)
12) Abbey Weizen (erick0619)

2 LEFT!!!

Maybe just one more to go. I am excited for this project. It will be cool to have a tasting of these beers with some friends. Please make some notes here about your progress along the way.

I have a lager question. I have done a lot of lagers but none that required the aging time that this recipe suggests. Normally after primary fermentation, I will cold crash for a week and then keg it. I put the CO2 to it and let it lager in the keg for as long as I need. We have finish primary on the Juniper Rye Bock and I am wondering about the almost 6 month lager phase. Should I just keg it and put the CO2 on it for the whole time or transfer to a secondary and lager it in that before kegging in 5 months or so?
Mainly I wonder about the effect of CO2 on it for that long of a time. It probably doesn't matter but I want it to be the best it can be.

Is the AHA version of Lambicky the exact same as the book? I'd probably try to get it started in the next couple weeks to give it some time to do its thing and then just drop some crabs in it in mid-late September. AHA suggest 2 months on fruit but it also only suggests 1 month with a Belgian strain and then 2 months with lambic blend and crabs. Seems like the lambic blend would need more time but mashing at 145 fermenting first with a sacch and then the blend probably wouldn't leave a lot left for the Brett, etc to eat so I guess it's possible.

Here is what the book says:

9. CRANAPPLE LAMBICKY ALE - Crabapples add not only a festive touch, but tannins and acidity as well,
which makes it easier to get that tart, champagny character without extended aging. Brew a simple pale
wheat ale like the Amazing Daze (see below). If mashing, go low (145*F) and long (two hours). Ferment
with ale yeast, Belgian or otherwise. Obtain 3 to 4 pounds of crabapples (cranberries work also), wash
well, then freeze. Thaw and add to the beer when it is transferred to the secondary, along with a package
of mized lambic culture. Allow to age on the fruit for two months, then rack, allow to clear (which may
take a month or two), and bottle. Lambic character will continue to increase with time. Gravity: 1.050
(12*P). Color: pale pink.

AMAZING DAZE AMERICAN WHEAT ALE
Yield: 5 gallons
Gravity: 1.049 (12*P)
ABV: 4.1 - 4.7%
Color: Pale Gold
IBUs: 23
Yeast: American Ale
Maturation: 4 to 6 weeks

Recipe:
4 lb Pilsner Ale (44.5%)
4 lb Wheat Malt (44.5%)
1 lb Munich Malt (11%)
1 lb Rice Hulls

Hops:
0.75 oz Cascade (6%AA) 60 Min
1 oz US Tettnang (4.5%AA) 15 Min

I was actually thinking about doing this one using the Golden recipe from the Rare Barrel. I think that would turn out great.

I think maybe I should just pass on this one for this year. Not sure I can time it out just right. I may try starting a batch in August though to try it out. I have access to a few wild crabs that are very similar to dolgo crabs so I make cider with them in the fall. Might have to start a batch of this come fall to be ready for next Christmas.

Planning on doing the stout probably next weekend. Been a super busy summer, wanted to get it started earlier but there should still be time.

I brewed a test batch at the end of June just to check the spices out. I probably won't start brewing the batch that I ship until a little bit later so the beer will be fresh.

I just sampled another bottle of the Fruitcake Old Ale I brewed for this in 2013 (in fact, for the 12 Beers of Christmas 2013. It has aged wonderfully! The fruits dry it out a bit, so it isn't as full-bodied as a typical Old Ale; however, it is delicious!

I did my brew twice. Once as a test batch a shortly after signing up for this. I was planning on doing a second batch over the summer, but due to a car accident I wasn't able to brew it until this weekend. It may need a little aging when you get it. Sorry.

I am looking forward to the exchange.

When will be sending them out?

Well, I know we never filled all the spots and we didn't get much response back in August when I posted. Let's do a little roll call. Who is ready to ship their beer in a little over a month? I do have mine done.

As I said I do will have two version to choose from. One has been bottled for
4 months and one will be bottled for a few weeks.

If we don't do it this year, I am definitely in for next year.

Back