110v panel help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukeedogs

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415942113.943590.jpg. Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advise. I want to build this, but I use herms, so after I mash in, I will set the pid to my mash rest temp, instead of my strike temp, and plug my pump 1 into the element 1 outlet, and turn off element 2, so when the temp drops, it'll turn on the pump instead of the element. Then I'll plug one of the elements into the pump outlet, and leave it on to let the HLT overheat, and I'll top up with cold water at sparge to get my temp. My question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to add some sort of switch that makes it so I don't hav to manually unplug and plug them in, like a toggle that reverses them? I'm not an electrician , sorry if this sounds really stupid! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

View attachment 235766. Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advise. I want to build this, but I use herms, so after I mash in, I will set the pid to my mash rest temp, instead of my strike temp, and plug my pump 1 into the element 1 outlet, and turn off element 2, so when the temp drops, it'll turn on the pump instead of the element. Then I'll plug one of the elements into the pump outlet, and leave it on to let the HLT overheat, and I'll top up with cold water at sparge to get my temp. My question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to add some sort of switch that makes it so I don't hav to manually unplug and plug them in, like a toggle that reverses them? I'm not an electrician , sorry if this sounds really stupid! Hahaha

Ya so a switch that reverses pump 1 and element 1, so it can run my herms pump of the pid, and put the Element on the pump switch to take it out the pid and constantly on. I hope that's a bit more clear

View attachment 235766. Hey everyone, I was hoping I could get some advise. I want to build this, but I use herms, so after I mash in, I will set the pid to my mash rest temp, instead of my strike temp, and plug my pump 1 into the element 1 outlet, and turn off element 2, so when the temp drops, it'll turn on the pump instead of the element. Then I'll plug one of the elements into the pump outlet, and leave it on to let the HLT overheat, and I'll top up with cold water at sparge to get my temp. My question is, does anyone know if it would be possible to add some sort of switch that makes it so I don't hav to manually unplug and plug them in, like a toggle that reverses them? I'm not an electrician , sorry if this sounds really stupid! Hahah

Ya so a switch that reverses pump 1 and element 1, so it can run my herms pump of the pid, and put the Element on the pump switch to take it out the pid and constantly on. I hope that's a bit more clear

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

I dont think this is a good idea myself.... What happens to the wort that sits in the coil when the pump turns off? how about the grain bed when the pump is constantly turning on and off every few seconds (more likely to have a stuck sparge) its also bad for the pump to turn on and off so many times (especially when hot) you will end up with layers of different temp wort in your grain bed...

I don't know of a switch, that is out of my wheelhouse, but I am with augiedoggy on the pump idea. The pump can really compact the grain bed quite quickly. When I was done brewing, I used the pump to suck any wort out that I could before cleaning my MLT. It was less than a minute before grain was so compacted the pump screamed for a second and there was nothing happening. Had I been lautering, that would have resulted in a stuck sparge.

But I also question what the line of thinking is with the pump turning on when the mash temp drops? Is that to recirculate the wort to bring the temp up? Assuming the wort being pumped out is hotter than the wort on top (likely), I think you'll still struggle to keep the heat consistent in the mash. Maybe I'm wrong, it is a method I've never tried.

Ya I get what u guys are saying, but I brew like this now, and don't have any problems, the mashtun is a false bottom keggle, and the mash return is at the top in the lid, and I hav a squished hose clamp In there so it disperses pretty good. I use a stc right now, so maybe it's differential is making the pump not cycle so much, it's a cheap 12v so it handles it good. isn't this how your surpossed to run a HERMs? Maybe an easier way would be for me to keep the pump going nonstop , and put the probe in the HLT, set to my desired mash temp

I think I figured it out , I've probably bin denaturing some of my alpha? Amalese enzymes by brewing the way I do, cause ya, the wort sits in that coil In The HLT Which temp sometimes creeps up. I think I'm gonna just leave the pid probe in the hlt, so once I mash in I can set the temp for mash , and recirculate the whole time, less messing around and less switchs to build.

Back