11 gal fermentation CO2 production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ferment 11 gal of wort in a Speidel 60L fermenter. I am wondering if enough CO2 would be created by fermentation to purge (2) 5 gallon sanitized cornies of oxygen. I envision collecting the CO2 via tubing to liquid out of corny #1 with a jumper from corny #1 gas in to liquid out of corny #2, then gas in of corny #2 into an air lock of some sort. It is still a design in progress. I have been doing closed transfers using a CO2 tank but my supplier of CO2 refills went out of business. I will need to drive a distance for CO2 to serve my beer.

Yes, it most definitely will be enough. Although in the end you'll only have saved about 0.15lbs of CO2.

Thanks! CO2 is one thing. To purchase more CO2 I will have to drive 90 miles round trip, using approx. 4 gal of gasoline and about 2 1/2 hours of my time. It will be worth it for me. :)

I ferment 11 gal of wort in a Speidel 60L fermenter. I am wondering if enough CO2 would be created by fermentation to purge (2) 5 gallon sanitized cornies of oxygen. I envision collecting the CO2 via tubing to liquid out of corny #1 with a jumper from corny #1 gas in to liquid out of corny #2, then gas in of corny #2 into an air lock of some sort. It is still a design in progress.

I do this, but with a spunding valve at the last gas post.

Beware: If you have any corny kegs with questionable lids seals (i.e. the kind that seal fine under high pressure, but take a little fiddling to seat), don't try this with those kegs.

Latest posts

Back